begginer need lots of info

P@UL

ive decided id try cichlids but i dont no much about them ive been reading about them and it seems a bit difficult especially discus wat i read it made it sound like i needed hundreds of dollars worth of equiptment like co2 cylinders algea control and a bunch of other stuff i read that most people keep cichlids in bare tanks with little decor at all but ive seen your tanks and theyre full of plants so im a bit confused on alot of things and is it easeir or harder to clean the tank with them and is 30ish gallons enough to keeps them in? and most of all do i need a completely different ph level than in my live bearer tank? i need help so ive come to the experts o and i would like to no the best starter cichlids get please help me i apresiate ur input

id also like to no wich plants i should add cuz im goin to acually spend money on this one cuz im gettin a job real soon hopefully funny thing is all of my stuff in and including the equiptment and tank has cost me lest than $100 so thats y i dont no the prices of stuff very well i got very lucky

Wow, that's a lot of questions.

I'd say that discus aren't good starter cichlids. My understanding is that you don't have to go to the extremes that some people go to to keep them healthy, but you do need pristine water conditions.

A lot of SA/CA cichlids don't do well with plants because they tear them up or dig them out.

IME planted tanks are a lot messier than non planted tanks unless you either do it very well or you just have a few simple plants such as crypts.

I would suggest starting a firemouth tank. They look good, have interesting behaviour, are inexpensive, may live with your livebearers if they're swordtails (probably not with guppies), they shouldn't be too aggressive, but they will display aggression.

Healthy plants and proper conditions are the best form of algae control.

Don't mess with pH levels, any fish you buy will adapt to your tap water.

Follow the cichlid-forum link and look up firemouths - I'm sure you won't be disappointed. :thumbs:

I would say, wait for the auction and buy some HRPs from me. They are spectacular little cichlids. Not too agressive and as was previously pointed out to me on this site, an idiot could breed them.

Just a thought. I have also really enjoyed keeping Blue Acara, Severums, Bolivian and Blue Rams, and the Panamenses. You would need a larger tank for more than 1 of the first 2, but you could get a pair or trio of any of the last three for you 30.

Kevin

The Kribs are good fish for a comunity tank as well they stay small and can get fairly colorful. Although they are West African and not S/A

Edited by Sam Chicklets

Some cichlids should be kept as a species tank. Such as convicts. They are very interesting first cichlid to have as they are tough as nails, easy care and great parents. They do breed often so you get many chances to observe their behaviors. Besides, if you'd like to try them I can give you a pair free, or several juvies to grow out. Sue

sure i'll try the convicts but i wont have the tank for a bit probably a couple weeks but im not changing my mind im getting a cichlid tank and i'd love some of your convicts sue but will u have them still in a week or 2 and thanks everyone for the input

sure i'll try the convicts but i wont have the tank for a bit probably a couple weeks but im not changing my mind im getting a cichlid tank and i'd love some of your convicts sue but will u have them still in a week or 2 and thanks everyone for the input

Sure thing, that's no problem. PM me when you're ready. Sue