Torpedo barb

Vallisneria

Well at this months ACE meeting there was a very cool fish up for raffle. It was labeled a "torpedo barb" and looked at lot like a SAE with a red stripe. It was a very pretty fish. It seemed every one wanted it. We got talking about them at my table and the guy sitting next to me said that it was donated by big al's and that it usually sells for 49$ea. I had never hear dof these guys before and was kind of shocked at how much they costed(especially since they need to be in groups). SO does anyone have any of these or know much about them? Their name is The Red lined torpedo barb, Puntius denisonii.

It sucked as i didn't get to win it. The first person to win took the barb(ofcourse) but i did win a nice bag of plants(and got some cheap frozen foods) so it wasnt' a complete loss. :)

So anyone know anything about the barb?

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...?article_id=137

:thumbs: Hey I saw those in one of the display tanks at BA's, I had no idea what they were! The colour on them was so amazing I was wondering if they were dyed or something. Good to know that they actually look like that!

Very easy fish to keep once acclimated. Here in ON the cheapest that I've seen is $10ea if you buy 6 or more. When they first were available last spring, they were $60ea, summer $45 and now averaging $20.

If memory serves me right, they were taken off the endangerd species list in 2002. I have heard that there's a farm or two in Singapore are breeding them, but can't confirm.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...