Spotted Royal Pleco

Kevin

I have the opportunity to buy a 6 inch spotted royal, but it is sight unseen.

Has anyone seen any imported into western Canada? Are their patterns as neat as they look on the web?

Will it be ok to put 2 6 inch royals into one 5 foot long tank? (I already have one) Any thoughts?

Kevin

If the price is reasonable for sight unseen , maybe 20 - 30 dollars, I'd take the gamble. They are much more expensive at the store. Is it someone you've dealt with before? Could they email you a pic? Sue

For a fish that large, the price will be a little higher than that. There will be a guarantee on the health of the fish, but not the pattern.

Have you seen any of the spotted royals? I have never seen any in Calgary. Any idea on the premium on the spots?

Kevin

Is it a personal sale? Through aquabid? I saw some royal plecos at Riverfront and I think they were $250.00. Special plecos are expensive especially larger ones. I have not seen spotted ones, sounds interesting though. Seems to me it is reasonable for such a high priced item to be providing a picture though IMO. Sue

IMO it is always risky buying on line from any of these bid webs as even with a photo you could get the bait and switch. That is where there is something advertised but you receive something totaly different and far less valuable. E- bay is extremely bad for this. If you are getting from a reputable dealer they should be able to supply a photo for you.

Thanks for your help folks, the source was reputable but it did not work out.

I am still curious as to whether anyone has kept the L330 - spotted royal? Or if anyone is aware of where I could get one.

Kevin

I've seen a few of them. The amount and quality of the spots will vary a bit from fish to fish. Some of the spots on some individuals will be more elongated. Throughout the day and night the contrast between the spots and the base color will vary as well. Hands down, the nicest of the royals. Haven't seen them available in a while now.