multipunctis

red-dragon

HAS ANYONE ATTEMPTED TO USE A PAIR OF MOUTHBROODERS TO CREATE A SUCCESFUL MULTIPUNCTIS SPAWN?.

WHAT TYPE OF BROODER WAS USED?

i HAVE A GROUP OF EIGHT MULTI'S WITH ATLEAST 4 GRAVID FEMALES. I"VE ATTEMPTED A COUPLE OF DIFFERENT IDEAS INORDER FOR THEM TO SPAWN BUT NOTING HAS WORKED.

i'VE BEEN READING ABOUT A TECHNIQUE IN WHICH THE SYNO'S SPAWN WITH THE BROODERS, DROPPING THE EGGS IN THE SPAWN LOCATION AND THEN HAVE THE BROODERS AS CARE GIVERS TO THE PUPS.

WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS HAD SUCCESS?

i AM ESPECIALLY CURIOUS ON WHAT TYPE OF BROODERS i SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR.?

From what I've been told your Syno's need to be at least 3 years old, possibly even 5. I've got a group of 13 right now that I'm attempting to get spawning, but don't know if they're quite old enough. Largest are probably about 6" with the smallest about 3.5" (numerous different sources for them). Even at 6" I don't know if they're quite large/old enough to actually start yet. I don't know how you'd be sure if yours are gravid or just eat well; with my petricola that I breed it's difficult to tell which it is unless I haven't fed for a few days.

Best fish I've been told to use are Victoria mouthbrooders; they have huge mouths, spawn like rabbits, and are dumb so don't stop breeding when the Syno's get in there (most Malawians and Tangs I've been told will stop breeding completely once they clue in to the Syno's interrupting their spawning and what they're doing).

Best of luck.