Blackfish

JORG

Anybody(a.k.a birthdayboy today) know if Dallia pectoralis the Alaska blackfish is legal and/or available in the hobby.Been reading up on them and I think they would make great room temperature or pond fish

Quite legal, but I have never seen one offered anywhere...I would imagine that their requirements (cold waters...3ºC/37ºF-14ºC/57ºF) would make them very difficult to keep as an aquarium fish unless you wanted to invest $2500-$3500 in a chiller to go with a 90 gallon habitat.

My information states that they are highly adabtable and can withstand extreme temperature changes and in the summer lives in temperatures in the 68 F range (water temp) I'm not giving up quite yet perhaps a trip to Alaska is in the books

My information states that they are highly adabtable and can withstand extreme temperature changes and in the summer lives in temperatures in the 68 F range (water temp) I'm not giving up quite yet perhaps a trip to Alaska is in the books

I would be surprised if they ever see 68ºF water....and even that would require a chiller to maintain in Calgary or Edmonton come June-September. Bringing live native fish out of Alaska and across the international border is likely not going to happen, though.

Well according to the article I'm reading they are very adaptable and that 68 degrees is within their temperature range.They live in weed choked ponds in sphagnum bogs in the summer and can tolerate extreme conditions

Would the legal export/import thing not be the same as importing any other legal live fish from the states? If you want Toirtis I can fax you the article about this fish.

Would the legal export/import thing not be the same as importing any other legal live fish from the states?

No. Different rules apply to export of US native species, and import is different, too, especially concerning coldwater species that could potentially survive in Canada.

If you want Toirtis I can fax you the article about this fish.

Sure, I have a number of articles on it already, but another could not hurt.

:shifty: Here's a brainstorm I'll talk to some seafood dealers perhaps they can bring them in as live fish for consumption(just wait a long time before you eat them) as they are used for food in Alaska.Yeah I'm sure it's a 500 yard shot without a scope but ya never know.I'd need you to pm me fax#