Appropriate Arowana Abode

Morhua

Hey

I'm currently thinking through the do's and don'ts in owning an arowana. After all my research on the web I'm still a little stuck on what size tank they would require.

I was recently informed that to house a clown knife and arowana in one tank, the tank itself should be about 500-700 gallons. As cool as that would be I not sure if I'd be able to get that into my house, let alone avoid the two questions from my wife, which would be ... "Ah, what are you doing?" followed by "What are you doing?"

I think I'll avoid a combo knife/aro tank, but I was hoping current arowana owners would be willing to share what tank size they've found to work for them and more importantly for their arowanas.

Cheers.

I agree with Toris. Also the tank footprint is very important for any aro I would go any smaller than 6' x 2.5' and would recomend a minium depth of 2'. I have keep aro in a 280 gal (6' x 2.5' x 2.5') no problem. I curently have 9 aro's ( 2 x XB, 2 x SR, 2 x RTG, Green, black, silver) in a 110" L x 32" W x 40" D ( 608 gal / est. 550 gal net) lots of swimming room - for now, but will need more. Most importantly a powerfull bio filtration that can keep up with the aro's since they create alot of waste. Good luck.

Edited by boydo

I agree with Toris. Also the tank footprint is very important for any aro I would go any smaller than 6' x 2.5' and would recomend a minium depth of 2'. I have keep aro in a 280 gal (6' x 2.5' x 2.5') no problem. I curently have 9 aro's ( 2 x XB, 2 x SR, 2 x RTG, Green, black, silver) in a 110" L x 32" W x 40" D ( 608 gal / est. 550 gal net) lots of swimming room - for now, but will need more. Most importantly a powerfull bio filtration that can keep up with the aro's since they create alot of waste. Good luck.

Thanks guys. I have a lot of flexibility in what I can place in my basement/rec room; however, I'm limited to what I can actually get down there. A 6' x 2.5' x 2.5' would work. I agree with providing these fish (and all other larger fish) enough room to swim, especially when they are known to be long lived in domestic situations. Regarding filtration, I was planning an appropriately sized cannister filtration system supported by a HOB and powerhead. Sufficient enough? What do you think?

Regarding filtration, I was planning an appropriately sized cannister filtration system supported by a HOB and powerhead. Sufficient enough? What do you think?

Look at a wet/dry sump or a Fluval FX5 + HOB.

Will do.

Cheers

It might be easier to just get the glass for the tank and build it in you in your basement.

That way you can get a tank with a larger footprint in through the door jam.

I did for my 270g and it was alot easier than most people might think

After Jay built the stand for his tank I went and assisted him in assembling his tank. From start to finish including masking the joints we were sitting down enjoying a beer in less than 2 hours.

And i can Guarantee that If we had to do it again, we could knock that time down to a hour tops!

Even quicker to the beer LOL