Hatchet Fish Gone Wild

webmoose

My hatchet fish have decide to do something new with the evening feedings.. They position them self to jump out of the tank at the food when it is in my hands. It has happened 3 times now. I doubt this will end pretty one of these times one of them is going to run out of luck and hit the carpet... Now I am doing a hatchet count after feeding.... crazy fish...

Moose

Have you tried yelling "NO fishies! NO JUMPING! BAD FISHIES!!!"? -roll-

Sorry... it's late... I should probably have resisted this temptation.

(I hope it doesn't end in death... keep doing the count and I'm sure it will all turn out fine)

Edited by NatureNut

If I have that like to try and jump I feed then through the filter, I just take the top off on my HOB filters and put the flake food in there. This also works of you have faster fish mixed with slower fish.

Brad

Thanks all for your replies. I was doing a water change on this tank and I think he jumped for it during the process. I haven't found the proof.. Hopefully I find it before someone else does. It is a sealed top tank and the only way to feed is by opening the top.

RIP hatchet.....

• 4 weeks later...

This is kinda an off the wall suggestion, as I have never kept hatchets, but what about a layer of "egg crate" type material over the feeding area? The egg crate holes are big enough to allow food to pass through to the tank, and should be small enough to keep the hatchets on the inside, as they are a deep bodied fish. Just a thought.....

When we had a problem with this one fish that liked to jump out - I started mixing the food in a shot glass with water and then using a pipette out of a test kit to suck it up and squirt it into the tank. That way you only need to have the lid open only about one inch and if they jump they will hit the lid. That might seem a bit extreme but with three cats around the tank it seemed safest!