Another 90gallon needing advice

FishManTy

Hey everyone. Just been looking at what I want to order, and I can't completely decide, but I have a rough idea:

Currently in the 75gal, soon to be changed into the 90:

Aulonocara hansbaenschi "Red Shoulder" group (male is 4.5"), 1m, 2f.

Yellow Lab Group (2m, 2f, 1 Male is atleast 6")

What Im thinking of getting are some (Will only be getting some of them at 2.5" or so, so they will be living in my 150gallon for awhile unless you think they'd be fine in the 90. Im also thinking that Im gonna be forced to decide between my redshoulder in this tank or the Sunshine. Just looking for some advice on what to do):

Option 1:

Aulonocara baenschi "Benga" Sunshine (1m, 2-3f) (2.5")

Protomelas sp taiwan reef (1m, 2f) (2.5")

or:

Option 2:

Sciaenochromis fryeri electric blue ahli (1m 1-2f(4"))

Protomelas sp taiwan reef (1m, 2f)(3")

Aulonocara Maleri Island (breeding group of 1M/ 3-5F) (4")

Option 1 is order from Toronto

Option 2 is order from USA

The Redshoulder group will most likely be moved to my 150gallon anywayz... because I want this 90gallon to have all ordered fish cept my Yellows.

What do ya think? See any Clashes?

Better Selections?

Im open to ideas and have no clue what I want.

Here:

If I order from the USA

Or

If I order from Toronto

Anyone interested in putting together something they think would look good, taking atleast 1 of what I've been considering into consideration? The Yellows can either stay in this 90 gallon or become permantly housed in the 150. (If they stay in the 150, then I can order small 2"-3" and no big guys)

Im really confused and uncertain on what I want to order, and whats gonna be worth the money

Any advice will be appreicated.

Thanks for your time guys!

Ty

P.S. This message was written in a few parts as I kept getting called away from the computer. So bare with it, it might not have made all to much sense. I just need some ideas on what to put in my tank, including atleast one of the species I listed in the option 1 or 2.

P.S.S I can try to ask for fish that aren't on their lists...they might have something.

P.S.S.S. Know any other good online sites to order from??

Thanks again,

Ty

Both option 1 & 2 should work fine in a 90 gallon with your labs, with the exception of this:

Sciaenochromis fryeri electric blue ahli (1m 1-2f(4"))

IMO they are better suited to a 6 ft tank, at least if you want to mix them with other breeding groups of haps/peacocks. 1-2 f for a male fryeri would also not be such a great idea. I would recommend 3-4 min.

As far as the red shoulder, they may very have to stay in the 150.

A 90 gallon is a nice sized tank, but the footprint is the same size as a 75, and this is the main criteria with Africans.

Have you considered going with more mbuna? If so, this species would make a nice mix in your 90 gallon with your labs.

http://www.cichlidlovers.com/c_afra_blue_reef.htm

Edited by RD.

Thanks for the advice RD.

I really want this to be a nice tank, so its quite hard to decide.

Hey, do you have any idea of the size those Mbuna get? the afra blue reef.

Hmm, no Fryeri... guess thats ok.

So, Im thinking I should think of the location of all my fish first... cause I just can't decide if I want the 150 to be my newer smaller fish, or my soon to be 90 to be for the smaller.

Hmm. Decisions Decisions Decisions...

I'll update more when I have a better Idea of where I want everything to go.

Until then, anyone know how Clown Loaches do with a breeding group of yellow labs and red shoulder peacocks... and some Multichromis (the guy FishManCalgary ID'd) will do together? Cause if so, I might just do it that way in my 150gallon and then put all my soon to be ordered fish in my 90gallon.

Also, can some people post ideas of what I should do with 2 tanks:

150 gallon (60x24x24)

90 Gallon (48x18x24)

Fish to take into consideration:

17 Clown loaches (small, 1.5-2.5")

5 Multichromis

3 Group of Red shoulder peacocks

4 Group of yellow Labs

ugh! So confusing!

Tyler - I believe they max out at approx 3-4" More info on this species in this thread: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=59204

Also, can some people post ideas of what I should do with 2 tanks:

150 gallon (60x24x24)

90 Gallon (48x18x24)

Fish to take into consideration:

17 Clown loaches (small, 1.5-2.5")

5 Multichromis

3 Group of Red shoulder peacocks

4 Group of yellow Labs

I believe that the "multichromis", were actually Pseudotropheus "mpanga", as did others in that thread.

Personally I'd keep the 90 for the mbuna, and the 150 for the haps/peacocks.

The loaches should be fine with the mbuna or the haps/peacocks, until they get larger and then they will need to be thinned out. (years from now) Considering their numbers, and the lesser aggression of the haps/peacocks, I would keep them in the 150.

So, now you need to figure out what's best suited to go with the red shoulders in the 150, and what will work best in the 90 with the yellow labs & the mpanga.

In the 90, the "afra blue reef" would go well with the mpanga & yellow labs, and you would have 3 nice breeding groups. 7-9 of each species would be perfect, or you could leave the current numbers as-is, and up the 3rd species to 12-15. The total numbers really depends on your water change schedule, and your filtration.

In the 150. you currently have 17 small loaches, the red shoulders, and although I know you are looking at a yellow peacock, they are also from the stuartgranti group (as are the red shoulders), so there's always the risk of cross breeding. I would go with a hap, such as this:

http://www.cichlidlovers.com/p_electra_superior.htm , which would still allow you to get a breeding group of fryeri. Just make sure that if you are ordering juvies, to get several, so the male fryeri has at least 3-4 females.

I'm only sticking to those species, as they appear to be in good numbers on the cichlid lovers site.

The other option is to turn the 150 into an all male hap/peacock tank. :hey:

Ok, so how about:

150:

Red Shoulders (3)

Clown Loaches (17)

My breeding group of yellow labs (4)

And some either Fryeri or something like that electra Superior, or both (3-5)

90:

Pseudotropheus "mpanga" (my 5, plus maybe 2 more females) (that would give me 3m/5f)

blue Afra (Im having a real liking on these guys, maybe a group of 10)

f1 Yellow labs (5, hopefully 2m, 3-4f)

and some small Sunshine or Maleri? (1m, 2f)

or, cichlidlovers has this group of 6 Maleri listed (1m, 5f). What if they went in the 150, and the Red shoulders went in the 90 (or would large red shoulders have a problem with the other small guys??)

I never recommend keeping haps or peacocks in with mbuna, unless they are yellow labs, or one of the other smaller less aggressive mbuna. IMO the P. mpanga would be a bit too aggressive for haps or peacocks, and the Maleri Is are smaller, easy going peacocks.

Where are you getting the F1 yellow labs? I know Alan had some WC labs in the past, but I seriously doubt that the labs he is currently selling are F1. If they were, I imagine he would state up front they were F1, and the price wouldn't be $4 a fish. Also, unless you are buying labs that are mature, and have been vented, or are a proven breeding group, there's no telling what the sex will be when you get them.

I just checked, looks like Alan is out of labs, and the ones he had were only 1".

If you plan on getting them from African_Fever, chances are they won't come sexed either, as they will be way too young. (but the quality will be there for sure)

Funny story, a buddy of mine in the US ordered 10 juvie peacocks online (I forget the species) , and when they matured he had 10 males. :wacko:

What's the odds of that?

Well hmm. I guess Im gonna scratch the Maleri all together then, cause I like my Red shoulders, and my 30gallon I don't think is big enough for a breeding group of 3 (Plus, my ruby Red's are in my 30gallon right now)

Ok, What about the Taiwan reef, I forgot about them. Would they do ok in the 150gallon???

Kyle has some f1's, but won't be ready for a few months I believe. Cichlidlovers says they are out of yellow labs, and I too doubt f1's at $4.

I want to get them small for the 90gallon... so Im hoping to find some 1" or so f1's for $15. Either locally or by order.

Thanks for all the help, Im a little clueless with some of these fish.

Funny story, a buddy of mine in the US ordered 10 juvie peacocks online (I forget the species) , and when they matured he had 10 males. :wacko:

What's the odds of that?

LoL, I'd be so angry. What are you supposed to do with 10 males!!

Male tank.

But yeah, Alan's out, and I gotta wait for Kyle If i decide to snag a bunch from him.

If you are looking at breeding quality labs, Kyle's fish will be worth the wait. Other than Kyle's F1 labs, the only other source I know of in Canada is some of the guys from the CRLCA, and they want $20 per fish, plus shipping.

The only issue I see with the Taiwan Reef is that the color of the male is predominantly blue, as is the red shoulder, as is the fryeri. The best bet when mixing haps/peacocks (for breeding set ups) is to keep fish that are not from the same genus, and that look as different as possible. This will help lessen the chance of cross breeding, and lessen the chance of the males ripping each other apart. A full gown fryeri can be a force to be reckoned with.

Gotta hit the hay, later ......

Edited by RD.

Ok, so how about:

150:

Red Shoulders (3)

Clown Loaches (17)

My breeding group of yellow labs (4)

And some either Fryeri or something like that electra Superior, or both (3-5)

90:

Pseudotropheus "mpanga" (my 5, plus maybe 2 more females) (that would give me 3m/5f)

blue Afra (Im having a real liking on these guys, maybe a group of 10)

f1 Yellow labs (5, hopefully 2m, 3-4f)

Taking the quote as the stock I currently want, how would some Acei do in the 90gallon? say a trio? or so