Iranian Red Rainbow

Jerry: How big is the tank, and how many watts of light ?? I'm no expert, but IME, having LOTS of light on a tank makes all the difference, as using the flash usually results in glare. If you absolutely need to use the flash, try be at an angle to the tank, as opposed to straight on, this will help reduce the glare/reflection of the flash some.

Haven't done much lately, but here is a link to my hokey site w/pics from back when my tank was thriving :)

...and there are even a couple shots of the Threadfin Rainbows I had back then:)

http://www.connect.ab.ca/~jamesdfo/

HTH

James

Edited by James (Western Canada)

The rainbow tank is aprox. 100 gallons and it has 80watts of light ...

The tank is a high quality Oceanic custom built tank... the glass is probably 3 times thicker then the commonly sold tanks in the LFS... maybe this is the problem... I will have to try taking some pictures on my other tanks that have thinner glass to see if this is the problem...

Jerry: 80 Watts on a 100g is not a lot:) For planted tanks 2+W/g is the starting point. My 90g is from Mitch in Calgary, and the front pane is stsrphire glass (doesn't get much clearer than that)

So my guess is you would notice an improvement in your pics just by adding light over the tnk (even if only for the duration of your photo session)

I don't know if you looked at any of the pics in my link, but in the later ones of the 90g, there was 240w over the tank (although the elevated configuration of my lowbuck setup does not make optimal use of those 240w, it is proably at least comparable to 180-200w of optimal lighting)

James

The rainbow tank is aprox. 100 gallons and it has 80watts of light ...

The tank is a high quality Oceanic custom built tank... the glass is probably 3 times thicker then the commonly sold tanks in the LFS... maybe this is the problem... I will have to try taking some pictures on my other tanks that have thinner glass to see if this is the problem...

Edited by James (Western Canada)

I use to run nearly 300 watts on top of my setup and still couldnt get enough lite into that tank to grow anything but low light plants... wanted to follow the 3watt per gallon rule....My 100 gallon is just to deep for the lite to penitrate it unfortunely... so now it is a low light and low light plant tank... Java moss and fern.... Jungle Val and anubias nana/// all doing fine fortuetly....

I tried getting some pictures of the fish in one of my 20gallons that has thinner glass and has over 65 watts on top of it... it is lit up like Navada and my pictures still did not turn out worth a darn ..... Hmmm

Thanks for your thoughts tho...