CF equivalent wattages

vic622

I just came accross this on GE's website thought it might be of interest.

Vic.

What compact fluorescent light bulb do I buy to replace a 60-, 75-, 100- or 150-watt regular bulb?

How are the watts calculated?

While a regular (incandescent) light bulb uses heat to produce light, a fluorescent bulb creates light using an entirely different method that is far more energy-efficient — in fact, 4-6 times more efficient.

... here are the watts needed by regular incandescent bulbs and compact fluorescent bulbs to produce the same amount of light.

· 60 watts incandescent = 15 watts compact fluorescent

· 75 watts incandescent = 20 watts compact fluorescent

· 100 incandescent = 26-29 watts compact fluorescent

· 150 incandescent = 38-42 watts compact fluorescent

· 250-300 incandescent = 55 watts compact fluorescent

Edited by vic622

Judging from the way my plants are growing with Sylvania Gro-Lux bulbs I think 4 to 1 is a good rule of thumb to use.

My bulbs are 20 watt CF and I would estimate output of at least 80 watt equivalent. There was a huge difference when I took out my 65 watt incadescents and replaced them with 20w CF. I'm sold.

Brad

The Watts Per Gallon rule is only for Flourescent lighting. So a 65W incandescent would be the equivalent of around 16W Fl. Basically, upgrading gave them 8 more WPG - on a 10 gal, that's pretty sweet! :)