My new cichlid tank

mitsukuni

Finally got the 77 in place on a cinder block stand (its in the basement, in an area thats quickly starting to become a fishroom). Used styro to try to even it out, and 2x4s between the tank and the blocks. Put a shelf below it for future expansion ( :rolleyes: ). Gave it a thorough cleaning with vinegar, a razor blade, and several partial fills (it was sitting in a buddy's garage for the last few years). Finally, I filled it with water... No leaks. Things are going well so far...

THEN I decided to try putting together the Fluval 404 I recently got with a used 55gal. Thinking I would seed it for a few days on my 55 up in the mainfloor office (with wood floors), I put all my new media in, ran the hoses, and primed the thing...

This is where things went downhill... :shock: The tank quickly began to empty itself on the floor, around the cover of the fluval. After grabbing 4 large towels, and doing a quick mopup, I removed the cover o-ring, reseated it, smeared it with white grease, and tried again. Same thing. Brought it downstairs to the concrete floor, tried priming it on my SA 33 tank after monkeying with the gasket yet again, but to no avail. :angry: Argghhhh...

I'm going to try to find a gasket today (think PPE on Edmonton Tr might have em?), but if that doesn't help then this project is temporarily on hold, since all my other filters are in use... My BIL has a 304 and has never had any trouble with it. Guess I'm just lucky... :bang1:

Edited by mitsukuni

Did some fooling around in the city this afternoon and found what I was looking for: gasket for the 404, spindle for an old AC201 powerhead, and a cover for an AC200 HOB.

Went home, installed the new gasket, and pumped water all over the floor. Reinstalled the gasket with some white grease, opened the valve carefully, and FINALLY it held. But, just in case, I am currently running the filter from the front of the tank, and its sitting in a 5 gallon bucket, with a water alarm in the bottom, till I'm satisfied that the basket-show is over. :boxer:

But then I hooked up an AC401 powerhead to a couple of Marineland Bio-wheels I've had in storage. Yep, the o-rings leaked all over the floor in short order. Doh. Slowly I will get all my old equipment back in service. But I think I'll limit my dry-runs (they've been anything but dry so far) to the basement.

In any event, the tank is now filled, and one filter is circulating. So the project is ON.

Edited by mitsukuni

So I took the water alarm out, thinking all was good. Went down last evening to hand a new light over the tank (cheaped out, and got a home depot shop light and some Philips Aquarium bulbs). The 404 was underwater in the 5 gallon bucket, and the water was spilling over. As I said before, this filter was used, but "looked" to be in good shape... I'm not sure if I can trust it not to leak a fairly large amount of water over my floor... so I am now looking for alternatives.

I've been thinking for a while about a separate sump system - this might provide the impetus to do it. If anyone has suggestions where I can buy a cheap overflow box in the city or if you have one to sell me, please PM me (don't post the shop name here please). I know there are plans out there to make the overflow box, but I would like a reliable solution that is not going to end in wet feet. :boxed:

At least the light looks good... :shock:

Edited by mitsukuni

Well, after delving into this one a little deeper, I decided I would make my own overflow. Its based on the "w" type overflow, with a one way valve at the top of the the upper U, to make it easier to prime. Right now I'm waiting on the pvc cement to dry, and have begun work on the wet/dry system. Its probably going to be a drawer system sitting in a 20 gallon tank. Bio-media will be plastic potscrubbers, and return pump will use an AC402 powerhead I have sitting around.

I'm taking pics along the way in case anyone's interested.

For sure .. post pics of your progress. I would be interested in how you go about doing it.

Sounds like you've been having great fun with it so far... oh.. the joys of buying used sometimes....

Indeed! Ah, maybe this will be a blessing in disguise... my trickle filter project is coming along nicely. Since this has turned into a DIY project, I've started a new thread in the DIY section:

My 77 gallon DIY Project

I'll keep it updated with pics, in case anyone else is considering it, or wants to laugh at my folly... :rolleyes: