lake tang fish question

webmoose

I have a fish that has his jaw sticking out. He/she can't retract it. I assume it was pulled out in a fight and got pulled out to far.

Will he recover? Is it pulled out for ever? Broken? Can it live like this?

Anyone have any clue what I am talking about?

Mooose

I have no idea but I've heard it happening from fish lip locking. You might want to do a search over at cichlid-forum as I remember reading threads about it over there.

yeah thanks! It is a 'dislocated jaw' I wish I could just pop it back into place for the fish... It looks terrible. I hope it can still eat ok. :(

What species is it? I've heard about this happening quite often with Altolamprologus species. Can happen when the fish goes to feed, and for whatever reason it's jaw won't retract correctly. I've heard of people taking them out and carefully 'pushing' on the top of the jaw to pop it back into place, and I've heard of others that live fine with their problem. Some end up going back in on their own, while others continually pop out every time they feed.

Its one of my "Neolamprologus leleupi" They have been doing a bit of lip - locking.. I will likely isolate this one and see how it does on its own. I suspect he/she did not win the lip - lock game.

The other one that it happened to was a very small black calvus...

As it has happened to 2 fish someone is trying to establish territory and winning..

Thanks for the replies. much appreciated!

:)

Edited by webmoose