What food do you give...

johnsmith

I've been feeding a pinch of Super 8 veggie flakes in the morning and some Cichlid Attack pellets in the evening because I had the impression most people feed their cichlids twice a day.

However, I've had planaria (I'm assuming) growing on my glass and the only cause I can think of is over feeding. It seems all the food is eaten before reaching the bottow 2/3 of the tank, however, since they're messy eaters I can see little bits that escape their mouths, which I'm guessing is accounting for the planaria-by-overfeeding.

Also, it seems like my ruby red is losing some of his colour. Either that or his whole body is taking on more of a red hue, which is causing his "shoulders" to look less red.

Either way, what would you recommend for type of food and feeding schedule for:

4 yellow labs

3 ruby reds

3 Copadichromis azureus

all b/w 2 - 3 inches, except the male azureus who is more like 4 - 4.5?

Thanks

Well i feed my africans(lab perlmutts, and haps) NLS pellets, nutrifin max spirulina flakes, as the mian part of their diet. I also give them hakari cichlid excel, HBH graze flakes and the occasional frozen treat(mysis or brine shrimp).

I feed my adults once per day, each day they get something different(one day veggies, next day NLS). I feed my fry multiple times a day depending on how old they are. I feed juvie fish 2 times a day. FOr my adults i also skip feeding for a day every now and then.

Most people feed more then the fish actually need. They dont' really need to be fed multiple times a day, especially if they are adults, but most epople like feeding as its one of the most interactive thigns we get to do with our fish. So if you are worried about over feeding cut back to once a day or skip a day. IT definately wont' hurt them.

Most people feed more then the fish actually need.

Yeah, that's probably what I've been doing.

I've cut back to only feeding at night now. I guess I'll stick to that. I was worried that wouldn't be enough, but I think you're right.

BTW - where do you get NLS pellets?

One more thing Degrassi, I can't view your tanks b/c I'm not a member. Do I have to sign up or can you adjust that?

Edited by johnsmith

NLS as the main staple, with Nutrafin Max Spirulina Flakes a few times a week.

HBH Cichlid Attack is a D grade food that I wouldn't feed my fish if I won a lifetime supply for free.

Anchovy Meal, Dried Squid, Blood Meal, Fish Oil, Wheat Flour, Lecithin, Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast

Vitamins and Minerals: (18 - Vitamin A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, D3, E, K3, Biotin, Choline, Folic Acid, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Manganese, Potassium, Zinc, Selenium

Guaranteed Analysis: Protein - 43%; Fat - 12%; Fiber - 5%; Moisture - 10%; Ash - 13%.

It's also too high in fat, and the protein sources are a throw back to the pet food industry in the 60's.

Blood Meal, Hydrolyzed Feather Meal. :o

Do your fish a favour & toss it in the garbage ........

HBH Cichlid Attack is a D grade food that I wouldn't feed my fish if I won a lifetime supply for free.

Do your fish a favour & toss it in the garbage ........

No really RD, don't hold back, what do you really think? :lol:

I just reread my previous post about NLS, I didn't realize a conversation went on regarding where to find it. I think I saw Degrassi's name and assumed the last post was the one right after mine. So... my question about where to find it has already been answered.

I guess I'll be ordering some in the new year.

Anyone want to buy a small contain of Cichlid Attack? I'll give you a good deal. :D

Variety is the spice of life.

Vary the diet.

Dont Cheap out on quality.

A little more money can save hours of cleaning.

If not you can just buy the Hagen tropical flake, and slowly starve your fish.

I also agree that the HBH cichlid crumble is not the best.

There flake is ok, next to OSI.

And it is available in 5lb boxes, not 2.2pnd like osi.

Oh did I mention I use a lot of food, and also make my own as well.