Emersed Plants

Cap'n

Most stem plants will grow emersed. Right now, I have Hygrophilla corymbosa 'stricts' that has grown about 6" out of the tank. Stem plants generally get a woody stem and thicker leaves when they emerge.

A lot of the roset plants can be grown emersed - same with rhizome plants. I've had Java fern grown completely out of water with constant misting; and, I've seen people grow Anubias spp. in their HOB filters.

I have Peace Lilies, Pothos, Philodendrons, Ivy, etc. growing out of HOB filters, too.

Like jvision says- most stem plants will work. A good plant ID book should give you information too. I don't usually let mine grow emersed unless I've neglected the tank because they block out too much light for the other stuff.

I love the emersed Hydrocotyle leucocephala on this tank:

barrpic.jpg

I have a philodendron I want to use. I'm thinking I will have to remove from the store pot, rinse well, and this is the part I'm not sure of. Can I plant or support it on a piece of driftwood? or eggcrate above tank with roots poking through? or some hanging planter with roots hanging below? Light source will be the window adjacent to the tank so tank lighting will not be an issue.

Once you've rinsed the dirt off, you can find any way to emerse it. I try to put as little of the stem in as possible; but, you want the roots to be in the water - that's why I like HOB filters. I just hang pieces of ivy over the tank, or use the lid to hold the plant up, as well. You can be as creative as you like. :)

I have a philodendron I want to use. I'm thinking I will have to remove from the store pot, rinse well, and this is the part I'm not sure of. Can I plant or support it on a piece of driftwood? or eggcrate above tank with roots poking through? or some hanging planter with roots hanging below? Light source will be the window adjacent to the tank so tank lighting will not be an issue.