Fishytimes 68g reef. Pics

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Flip. Actually I dont have a ton of money into this tank. Its probably the bare minimum one could get away with spending to have a reef tank. I have seen alot more people spend ALOT more money to get just about the same results. For me , it was alot of $, but to most other reefers it is pretty ghetto. Most of the corals were bought as frags and were $15 on average,others were aquired by trading with local reefers.. The tank and the bulk of the live rock I got free by diligently watching usedcalgary.com, and the metal halide was given to be by a friend and super guy, and the other lighting on the tank I already had (so atm the tank isnt the prettiest to look at cause Im running the canopy I had on my 20g frag tank on one end and the HOT5 lighting from the 20g display on the other end). I simply cant afford to drop $1000 on lighting right now so the lighting I had will have to do. But really you can get great results without spending a small fortune. I have had arguments with guys saying that the cheaper HOT5 lighting that I have is no good. But the proof is in the pudding. I think that they are just pissed that they spent twice as much for thier lighting and I am getting just as good results. :smokey:

• 3 weeks later...

Its been almost a couple months since I swapped tanks and the corals finally seem to be REALLY settled now(polyps extending fully, etc, etc).I picked up a couple new fish to help fill things in a bit.So in the tank now are 1 ocellaris clown, 1 six line wrasse, 1 royal gramma, 1 flame angel, 1 bi-color angel, and a yellow tang ( I know but hes just wee now so I figure I have a year or two before I need to either move him or upgrade tanks). So heres a few random recent shots. Now Im gonna barracade myself in my safe room and wait for the tang police to come a knockin.

IMGP1249.jpg

IMGP1247.jpg

IMGP1245.jpg

IMGP1241.jpg

IMGP1236.jpg

IMGP1250.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have made the decision to put in a sump. Been slowly getting all the parts together. Gonna use a cpr 102 overflow with aqualifter, a quietone 6000 return and a 33g tank for the sump. My family was good to me this xmas and gave me some cash to get some corals. Got a couple millis Green and pink, a robins egg blue stag, and a pocillipora damicoris all from Greg(snappy). Some monti cap "frags" from dannyz( thanks again). From golds I picked up a nice acan and superman monti frags.Also added one last fish to the mix...a copperband butterfly. So far it appears to be all good with him and the only thing in the tank I am worried about so far is the feather duster.It has had a couple "feathers" plucked and has spent the last couple days hiding.

IMGP1349.jpg

IMGP1352.jpg

IMGP1385.jpg

IMGP1347.jpg

IMGP1382.jpg

IMGP1364.jpg

IMGP1353.jpg

IMGP1355.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks AGAIN guys.Scored a pretty nice blasto. All this crp overflow talk has got me all freaked out, and rethinking my plans. Any one out there that is running a cpr wanna chine in with their experiences with theirs?

IMGP1480.jpg

Sloughshark, was to bad $50. And thanks bosshog.Ok...seriously thinking bout a change of plans. I have a 110 freshwater that has been whispering "salt" in my ears since I ventured into the salty side of things. All this talk about the relibility of the crp overflows is putting tons of doubt in my decision to use one on the 68g. I am going to be moving in a couple months and am thinking that I dont want to move both the fresh and the salt tanks while they are up and running. So I am thinking of shutting the 110g fresh down. While it is dry I am going to drill it and put in probably a couple corner overflows. So when the move happens I hope to have the 110 ready to transfer the contents of the 68g into it. I was going to use a 33g for the sump on the 68g but that will be way to small for the 110, so Im thinking probably a 55g would be better. I still have to hammer out some of the details, like what to do with the fish from the 110 and finding a 55g somewhere. On a differant note I grabbed a zoa frag from delphinus(Tony) and man am I happy with it. It didnt look like much in the picture he posted or when I went to look at it, but It is quite nice IMO. Whatcha all think???

IMGP1495.jpg

• 2 months later...
Mmmmmm 90gs would make a schweet reef man! Nudge nudge.

Yup, they sure do... this is my buddies 90G... It's never the same tank when I go round his place... Always changing.

BTW, very nice tank setup... your pics are amazing too...

post-3348-1211392053_thumb.jpg

Edited by JDigital