DIY pond filter

Qattarra

At my garden club meeting last night we discussed ponds. One member brought up her solution, a DIY project.

She purchased a mega pond pump from Princess auto, appearently very inexpensive, a large black plastic tote and the cheapy furnace filters.

I'll need to get a more comprehensive detailed explanation, but this is the gist of it. She claims she never has pump clogging or baring issues and that she cleans out the "filter" in the fall to ready it for the spring. She keeps a heavily planted pond with fish(aprox 1200 gallon). As we know well here, the plants do most of the real filtering anyway.

Just a thought for you pond keepers.

Sue

Edited by Qattarra

I just finished my filter for my 1000 gal. I made it from an 80 liter tote box and like you said I use the universal spun plastic furnace filter for part of the media. I also have a compartment with lava rock in it. I separate the compartments with egg crate. I got my inspiration from this site that ABWildrose provided in the pond forum.

http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

Edited by HOSStile