Identification

Identification  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've seen in other forums identification and morphology sections. This being a general aquatics and not a species specific forum I thought it would be nice to have an Identification sub forum in the community tank. So the question is, would you like an identification section?

Edited by Sam Chicklets

More than two syllable words, Nick... better explain it a bit better...

Do you mean an expansion on the "What is my fish" section or more of a "This is why a Celestial Pearl Danio is not a Galaxy Rasbora"? Or did you want to build a 'new' FishBase? Or are you thinking fish-related wiki?

More than two syllable words, Nick... better explain it a bit better...

Do you mean an expansion on the "What is my fish" section or more of a "This is why a Celestial Pearl Danio is not a Galaxy Rasbora"? Or did you want to build a 'new' FishBase? Or are you thinking fish-related wiki?

I think a fish database would be beneficial but it sounds like it could be a lot of work to build. The Age of Aquarium site is useful but it would be nice if it had more info. If you search the web hard enough you tend to come up with some good information on the species you want or have. To me a more beneficial database would include an ideal or optimum aquarium habitat conditions (e.g., prefers a planted tank, or sand substrate, or likes dark caves, etc.). There seems to be a lot of questions related to species compatibility as well. Info on the species behaviour and who it likes and dislikes would be good. How could something like this be created?

Cheers

I am referring to more of an expansion on what is my fish, as some fish can have different morphs when they are breeding, and males and females can look like two completely different species.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

Maybe a morph of our own 'Breeders Index' could be worked to include info like this? Info/pictures right from the breeders featuring photos, tank requirements, etc so people not only have a list of "Joe sells fish" but that "Joe sells fish that are blue and yellow, like sand and will eat plants and fight with anything else that is blue, or yellow."

I once-upon-a-time started a project to combine all the info from several great sites that 'just never had everything'... the problem with this is that it's NOT something that anyone can do in their spare time due to the massive info required, and the other snag is that the info changes SO often... we learn new things about fish all the time, so setting up a site with info on everything becomes a site about nothing until the day it really has everything - which will never happen.