bettafix instructions not clear

jojosavard

Bettafix instructions state to add 12 drops per litre. Then, "Repeat dose daily for up to seven days before making a water change" What? does this mean no water change until the end of the seven days? or does it mean to add treatment between water changes in general? Not clear! I sure don't want to overmedicate (7 fold dosage after a week doesn't sound right - unless the medication auto-degrades and has to be renewed daily???)

Comments?

Thanks everyone

I do 100% water changes weekly. After the new water is in I add the drops. Unless there is a finrot problem you are dealing with , that's all I add . The meleluca oil is quite dilute so I wouldn't worry about overdosing at that rate. Almond leaves are also very benificial as a cure and preventative.

:D Sue

that's it, he's gone. That was fast, i bought him 2 fridays ago. within 4 days he started looking limp. The fins started clamping. Then fraying. I went to to the pet store, they recommended bettafix. Applied bettafix for 3 days. Fish just got worse. Then his body and fins covered with a white film. Cottony growth on fins. Fins dacaying and falling apart. Went back to fish store and they recommended kanaplex, saying bettafix isn't powerful enough. Great, why didn't they just direct me to kanaplex to start with instead of wasting valuable time??. anyway, too little too late. oh well, at least the frog got to munch on the poor boy for a while until i discovered his corpse.

Next step - replace the fish. Do I need to sterilize the whole tank and contents? It was pretty clean to start with. Furthermore, web sites seem to say that the bacteria and fungus are present in all water and all aquaria regardless.

Unfortunately, the stores get these poor things in and let them languish in the cups. If you could find out on what day they are comming in, buy it that day. Always make sure your container is clean and fresh treated water. If you can keep the water temp slightly warmer than room temp , much better (25). After you aclamitise the new fish to his new home, don't feed him that first day. Add the bettafix to his water when you fill his container. Always keep in mind his stomac is the size of his eye, a couple grains of food a day is enough. Anything uneaten will polute his water A small container of NLS will last forever. I keep enough for them in a 1 oz jar, the rest waits in the fridge. If you can use sand an a plant in his home even better, just be carefull when doing water changes. Sue

Thanks sue, you continue to be very helpful. Excellent advice, especially the bit about getting a betta on delivery day at the store.

The truth is that I have been replacing my 2 kids' bettas umpteen times since last July. I am now close to being an expert at having the right conditions for them. Spacious living quarters (2.5 gallon tank) heated to 24 degrees C, light eating, frequent water changes, recent java moss addition (thanks to Jason) etc. etc. They just keep picking uop these bugs! out of the blu!!

Another example - this morning, I check on my daughter's betta , and it's at the surface, wobbling around on it's side, struggling to stay upright! Swollen belly! What? he was perfectly all right last night when I checked on him. What happened overnight? (I did perform a water change, but nothing out of the ordinary.

My theory: these bettas are so inbred, they have little immunity left in their genetic makeup. I don't understand from the philosophocal point of view- far away on the other side of the world, someone is making a huge effort breeding these truly beautiful fish, raising them from fry, and sending them to Canada for us to enjoy. Only to have them die in just a few weeks after purchase??

I am going to give the kids one last try at fish, after that it's only frogs/newts.

I think that inbreeding is a problem with most fish these days. I am starting a breeding program I am buying my fish from many different sources to try and stay away from inbreeding. I know of so few wholesalers for fish in Canada, while researching for my future pet store I have only found 3, that most fish you buy may come from the same source even though you buy them 6 month apart and from 2 different pet stores. I have bought bettas from wall mart and petsmart with no problems my last Betta lived for a year, and I didn't know that i needed to heat the water for bettas to live happily till recently.

My bettas have always lived for a long time, despite where I bought them or my stunning ineptness at fishkeeping.

Perhaps you have just had a run of bad luck? I hope things improve for you. Bettas are a rewarding fish to keep and I have loved all my violent little babies.

Another thing that may help when you are picking out a betta....look for younger ones. Unless you are looking at the "giants", look for a shorter slim bodied fish. As the males age , the "depth"(top to bottom) gets larger. This makes for an impressive fish at the store but chances are he's over a year old, so for these fellas it may not be a long life anyways. I have 3 year old bettas that I consider geriatric. They are gorgeous to look at but are no longer fertlelizing eggs. They go through the motions, but I get few if any fry. I don't expect to have them in 6 months. If I do , bonus, they are still fun. Sue

tahnks everyone for being so helpful and encouraging. I won,t give up just yet.

The fish shop told me they received a new shipment of bettas last night. So today is a good day to get a replacement.

First though. do I need to disinfect the tank and its entire contents? I hope not because it is alrady cycled! Plus, the kanaplex should have gotten rid of the fungus and bad bacteria for now, i imagine?