Do I need a center brace for this stand?

syb65

Are you talking about the center support shown in your drawing? If so No you don't need it if this a manufactured tank, however I would recommend a plywood deck on top of the framing.

It looks like you are including the neccessary support on your corners but you have left the middle of your tank unsupported. Have some posts at least every 2' along. I'm curious as to why you made the centre brace on the top run the length of the stand instead of across the short width (making these correspond to your posts at 24" o.c.). I like that you have made the support posts actually 'support' the top by doubling the posts so the top frame sits upon the posts instead of being attached to them from the side. Your drawing seems to indicate you are planning a flat board for the bottom of your stand. I would reccommend building a platform that mirrors the top frame for the bottom as this would more evenly distribute the weight load along the floor.

the center brace that I'm referring to is in the middle of the 6' length, vertically.

And there will be a sheet of 3/4" plywood on the top and bottom, and all the weight is going to be loaded on 2x4's lying on their flat sides at the bottom.

I put that center brace on top just in case in the future I will have to put smaller tanks on top.

Are there any engineers roaming around?

Edited by syb65

Structurally, the strong side of a 2x4 is on it's edge (1-1/2") or along it's length in the vertical position. They are very easy to break along the flat side when you start to apply pressure to them. When 2x4 or plywood is put flat, it tends to bend and fold to the surface upon which it rests, thereby giving your stand high and low points which is what you want to avoid for your big tank. Without a bottom frame built on edge like the top, the weight of the tank(s) will be transferred through your posts to the points below on the floor instead of evenly across the base of the structure. Plywood for the bottom is not required as the sheet will not add any load bearing ability and will just make your stand heavier and that much more expensive.

the center brace that I'm referring to is in the middle of the 6' length, vertically.

And there will be a sheet of 3/4" plywood on the top and bottom, and all the weight is going to be loaded on 2x4's lying on their flat sides at the bottom.

I put that center brace on top just in case in the future I will have to put smaller tanks on top.

Are there any engineers roaming around?

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure you put in you center brace....At first when I built my 230 I wasn't going to put in a center brace because I thought after using 2x6's that it would be strong enough....so I did a test I cut a center brace for it and just put it in the center loosely after fill up my 230 it was no longer possible to pull that center brace out!!

stand is already built, it looked like it wasn't going to bow for about a month(checked on it every day), then about a month and half later it bowed about 1/4" so I put 1 1/4" metal tubing in as legs. Lucky i had these already made and painted just in case. I'm pretty sure my stand can support double of what it has on now(120 gallons).

Thank god I'm a machinist and had the welder weld the legs for me in case.