Macroalgae [update: new pics 14/05/07]

Osprey

Anyone ever seen this stuff? (The red stuff, not the GSP on the left that looks sad because I just moved it).

100_0934.jpg

It's only started growing since I upgraded my lighting; somehow it's survived four or five months of cooking and another five months with extraordinarily lousy lighting. It's soft.

Edited by Osprey

Looks similar to an algae that I had growing. Cant remember the name sorry but let it grow a little more and shoot off another picture.

Amazing what can live. I had a tiny little anemone make it through.

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled upon a picture of just what you have, it was labelled "Red Macro (unknown)" I guess you're not the only one who doesn't know what it is. I'll let you know if I find anything else, I'm trying to make sure I have surviving baby hermits and not some crappy hitchers.

It's grown a bit more, too. Maybe I should take some more pictures... hmmm.

It sounds like a lot of red macros go unidentified. Many people never get the chance to see them, because they're so tasty to herbivores. Guess I'm lucky.

Edited by Osprey

• 2 weeks later...

New pics:

100_1060.jpg

It keeps growing, and some new colonies are sprouting up from the same rock as well. Might try to propagate it and spread the joy around. :) It's as pretty as most corals, IMO.

Edited by Osprey