feeding bettas

snaggle

I have two female and one male betta, they are still in the cups that they came in. I feed them about 5-10 pellets of NLS cichlid every other day. It looks like they are not eating it. I have some petsmart brand food that I could feed them. But since I internd to breed them I don't want to feed them bad food. I have to change the water in their cups every other day, I just dump them in a net rinse the cup re fill and replace the fish, I have a pail of water sitting out just for this. I am working on setting up 2 5g tanks and a 2.5g tank I just wont have heat or filters for them yet. Why would they not be eating? Is it because they are cooler, about 65 degrees F? Or is there some thing wrong with them? I keep thin in the basement because the temp is more constant even though it is colder. I do want to heat them once I can get the small heaters and filters for them.

Brad

I think it is their metabelism , too cold. You'd probably do better to float 3/4 full masson jars in a main tank as a temporary set up until their tanks are ready. I also prefer using my hand to catch/cup them during water changes as the net removes slime coat when they struggle.

They should be active little critters eager to take food from you. Sue