Potassium Permanganate??

chloeclose

Anyone know where a person buys this stuff? I have a bunch of java fern that I want to 'sterilize' and I just can't find it anywhere.

I've looked in drugstores, hardware stores, lfs's... no luck.

I'm not sure what it's more commonly used for... but I imagine that little tidbit of info could be useful in tracking it down! :rolleyes:

I have done the 'bleach dip' in the past but it seems to be kind of hit and miss as to whether the plants will tolerate it or not which is why I'd prefer to try the PP.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered mine from the drug store. I would suggest caution as it is very easy to kill your plants (which I did a few times) and if you use it in a fish tank be very carefull as you can damage your fishes' gills. I used a dark brown eyedropper container and worked up a concentrate where one drop per gallon = 1 part per million(PPM). Alum works as well but you can't soak the plants in that too long either if you have a heavy concentrate of it. Soaking in untreated city water overnight should eliminate most parasites but doesn't seem to eliminate all the snails.