Power head....any benifit?

Aquatic_Addiction

I'm looking for advice. I have a 55 gal community African cichlid tank. I currently am running 1 Via Aqua 750 Canister, 1 Fluval 204, I am also running two air stones as well. Now I seen a power head at Petsmart that automatically rotates the output nozzle. Would this be of any real added value to the tank to put something like this on it? I know the African's like a bit of current, and thought this might help keep everything moving nicely, but don't want to spent the 60 bucks if it's really not going to be useful for the tank. :well:

Thanks for any input.

~~Ray~~

I prefer a silent powerhead pushing water at the surface, just enough to keep the surface water undutating, not broken, to bubles. I find it's hard to always keep an airpump quiet , and often the bubles breaking the surface can be too noisy too. The undulating surface water keeps the tank well oxigenated, the circulation in the tank helps the filters get all the water cycled through. You can add a sponge to the water intake end of a powerhead to do more filtration of gunk as well as for bacterial growth. IMO , much better than rising bubbles. Sue

Edited by Qattarra

I have one of the power sweeps I found the flow was too strong for my planted aquarium and if any vegetation got in it it quit sweeping. Also if it is not perfectly level it will turn one way really fast and come back slowly. However on a non-planted tank it would be great as the flow is awesome. when sweeping it helps to keep circulation through more of your tank.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

Great feedback, thank you everyone. I like the idea of getting rid of the air pump in exchange for the power head. My tank isn't planted. strictly rocks and sand for them. I will also look around for the best price. the one at petsmart stated that it moved 380 g / hr so I thought that was pretty good for a 55 gal. But if you were able to pick one up for 10 bucks, I'm going to look around for sure.

Thanks again everyone.

~~Ray~~

Great feedback, thank you everyone. I like the idea of getting rid of the air pump in exchange for the power head. My tank isn't planted. strictly rocks and sand for them. I will also look around for the best price. the one at petsmart stated that it moved 380 g / hr so I thought that was pretty good for a 55 gal. But if you were able to pick one up for 10 bucks, I'm going to look around for sure.

Thanks again everyone.

~~Ray~~

I've used most types of powerheads in the last year, I like MaxiJet but they are not cheap. I've gone to

the Tom's brand DivePower, I think Riverfront sells them. Even an 85 is enough to move the water

around pretty good. I find them VERY reliable and every bit as good as the more expensive ones.

I agree to the great benifits of using power heads i find aqqa clear power heads are great with the extra canisters added to polish the water in my tanks. I also us the Seio 1500 and 2600 for current in my 200 gal (my rays love to swim in the currrent and my tank has less dead waste spots. Gold Aquariums has some new little power heads in that magnitize through the glass, the appear to be really effective and if i remember correctly they were a resonable price...