3 Gallon Tank

davekingca

HI all,

besides a betta, any thoughts on what I can stock a 3 G tank with? I'm thinking a few neon tetras, but not sure how many it will hold.

I know of the 1 G per 1" fish, but I don't think that always holds true....

Thanks!

Dave

I think you would be happy with endlers... they are small and colorful.

Humm,

endlers and killies, both are small but attractive..

I believe endlers are the smaller of the two, but hard to find. Is this true? I also think the endlers are schooling fish, so I might make them uncomfortable with less then 6, but I'm not sure my little 3g will hold those up. (I"m almost certain not)

any ideas on what the smallest is?

Not sure on size between endlers and killies cause it wil depend on the killie you compare to.

common killie breeding setups for pairs and trios are 1.5-2 gal so a 3 gal will be perfect.

http://www.aka.org

might be a good spot to take a peek at some different species to see if you like any..

Feel free to PM or ask here for some more links to diff species if you need to..

I think I like the endlers,

It woudl be really neet to breed them but then I would have to do somethign with the fry. Will the fish naturally not breed if the habitat is not large enough?

Would I be stretching it to populate with 3-4 males? (I read they measure 3/4")

Thanks!

I think the longest endler I have ever seen was about 3/4" they stay quite small.

good luck

The males stay that small but I've seen some pretty big females. Tanker gave me a huge female that must have been 1 1/2" long and really fat bodied. She kind of looked like a plain colored platy she was so big.

I think the longest endler I have ever seen was about 3/4" they stay quite small.

good luck

The males stay that small but I've seen some pretty big females. Tanker gave me a huge female that must have been 1 1/2" long and really fat bodied. She kind of looked like a plain colored platy she was so big.

I guess that only makes sence as guppy females get quite large and endlers are very closely related.

I would advise against Endlers in a tank that small... all males will still pick on each other out of bordom and if there is a batch of fry they will over run the tank. I had a 33 gallon I let them go nuts in (literally - no population controls for about 6-8 months other than an occasional scooping for feeders) and there were estimates exceeding 300 fish at one point. VERY prolific.

Go with Killies. lol