MELAFIX OVERDOSE!!!

Barracuda-m

My kid poured 1/3 of a bottle of melafix in my 25 gallon Ahli tank. (About 3 ounces)

How many water changes should I do? I just did about a 35% wc, and have filled a bucket to do another.

Should I do a few more today, making it gradual, or should I do them quicker, to get the melafix out of the water.

DARN THOSE LITTLE BOYS!

If your tap water's pH is close to what your tank usually is, then I wouldn't worry about doing larger water changes more quickly. As for how many you should do, I don't know, I would keep changing until the Melafix bubbles are gone anyway......... got some fresh carbon to put in your filter??

Do the fish seem to be suffering from the Melafix? ........Good luck with everything, hope the fishies are ok.

Unless your fish are acting in an unusual manner, I would not worry too much. Melafix is extremely diluted Tea Tree Oil which will break down in your tank in a short amount of time and I would not think that 3 ounces in 25 gallons is going to hurt anyone.

I bet your whole house smells very fresh now.

Kevin

I did 2 water changes, both about 30% (thats how big the buckets are) about 2 hours apart.

The fish seemed pretty agitated, swimming around like little maniacs and trying to rub against the gravel.

They don't seem quite as bad now (still a little rubbing) but I think I'll do another w/c in a couple of hours, just to be safe. My Ahlis are my babies, I can't put them in my main tank because my auratus and a big male cobalt keep kicking their asses.

Unless your fish are acting in an unusual manner, I would not worry too much. Melafix is extremely diluted Tea Tree Oil which will break down in your tank in a short amount of time and I would not think that 3 ounces in 25 gallons is going to hurt anyone.

Actually, it can irritate a number of fish species, even at recommended dose.

As has been suggested, keep up with very frequent and large water-changes for at least 4-5 days, and a big bag of fresh carbon in the filter will help as well.

hi, thanks for all the input. :)

I did oodles of water changes, with bottled water (18L at a time) over a couple of days, but they were still doing that "scratching" thing, so I moved them to my main cichlid tank. I kicked out my remaining cichlids and moved them elsewhere, and everyone is doing much better :)

I was scared to death that my darling ahlis would die, so I'm turning the tank they were in into a community tank :)