Takin' care of babies.

Terrie Lee

I currently have my swordtail fry in a 29 gallon tank. I want to move my shellies into that tank so they can have some sand to play in. if I move the fry to a 5 gallon will it hurt them? There is about 25 of them and they are 2 months old and still kinda small. Around 1 cm long.

If I don't put them in the 5g I have to put them in the 60g with the adults & some of them still looks small enough to fit in the adults mouths.

If the juvies are a cm long they should be ok in with the parents. But if you put that many into a 5g tank they will probably not grow well and the tank will be over loaded. This may cause you more grief. What filters are you using on your 60g tank, I would be more concerned with the fry going up the intake instead

I have a Marineland Emperor 400 Bio-wheel Power Filter

It filters 400g per hour.

It says it's for up to a 80g tank.

The slots in the intake are really tiny, I don't think they could get sucked up.

Edit: I have 2 fry a tiny bit bigger than the ones I am planning on putting in there. They hide all the time. Is that because there are only two of them or are the bigger fish harassing them?

Edited by Terrie Lee

It is quite normal for them to hide out when they are smaller, survival instinct. However if there lots of juvies they will probably be out and about a lot more.

No problem Terrie Lee, we're all here to help each other.