Flickering Flourescent Lights

KevinW

Last night during the big lightning storm there was a brief power outage which has caused my Coralife twin T5 flourescent fixture to flicker. I turned it off and have tried turning it on numerous times but it always flickers. I am presuming that the power surge has fried the electronic ballast.

Can anyone confirm that this is likely what happened. Also does anyone know where one can get parts to replace the ballast.

Thanks.

- Kevin

I suppose that it is possible, although I experienced a brief outage (maybe a second long) last night as well, and none of my aqualights are flickering, so perhaps your ballast was already on its last legs. As far as parts go, I suppose that the local CoralLife distributor here in Calgary should be able to order them in if they do not have some in stock already. Any local shop that carries CoralLife should be able to order them in for you.

Last night during the big lightning storm there was a brief power outage which has caused my Coralife twin T5 flourescent fixture to flicker. I turned it off and have tried turning it on numerous times but it always flickers. I am presuming that the power surge has fried the electronic ballast.

Can anyone confirm that this is likely what happened. Also does anyone know where one can get parts to replace the ballast.

Thanks.

- Kevin

Are both of them flickering or just one? If you're lucky just one of the T5's are damaged and you don't need to replaced the ballast. Just try both of them seperately on both sides. If both are flickering then you are probably out of luck.

ps. You don't need to get a Coralife ballast. Just check the specs and pick one up at the local hardware store. Just make sure the size is the same so that it fits.

Edited by patrick

Are both of them flickering or just one? If you're lucky just one of the T5's are damaged and you don't need to replaced the ballast. Just try both of them seperately on both sides. If both are flickering then you are probably out of luck.

ps. You don't need to get a Coralife ballast. Just check the specs and pick one up at the local hardware store. Just make sure the size is the same so that it fits.

They are both flickering. I did try both of them separately on both sides and they continue to flicker. Guess I need to find new ballast. Thanks.

- Kevin

I had trouble with my coralife T5 48" fixtures. I bought one last Sept or so and about 5 months later it didn't work. I thought that either the bulbs were dead or a recent power outage had caused damage. I bought new bulbs and they still didn't work, so it must be the ballast or whatever. I then bought a whole new unit because I now had a couple of brand new bulbs. That one lasted barely 2 months when I noticed flickering of the lights and then they went out. I changed to use new bulbs and it still didn't work. So, 2 of those units kicked the bucket within 8 months. Needless to say, I bought myself a different type of fixture at a hardware store. I wonder if there isn't a problem with a batch of those fixtures.

I had trouble with my coralife T5 48" fixtures. I bought one last Sept or so and about 5 months later it didn't work. I thought that either the bulbs were dead or a recent power outage had caused damage. I bought new bulbs and they still didn't work, so it must be the ballast or whatever. I then bought a whole new unit because I now had a couple of brand new bulbs. That one lasted barely 2 months when I noticed flickering of the lights and then they went out. I changed to use new bulbs and it still didn't work. So, 2 of those units kicked the bucket within 8 months. Needless to say, I bought myself a different type of fixture at a hardware store. I wonder if there isn't a problem with a batch of those fixtures.

This fixture was only 9 months old too. Maybe you are correct about there being a problem with them. Has anybody else experienced problems with Coralife T5's?

- Kevin

I wonder if it was just a particular manufacture run....I have 9 of the things going (for over 10 months now), and no probs...and we have not had any returns/complaints at the shop, either. This is good to know, though, so I can be prepared if someone brings one back.

Does anyone know how to remove the ballast from one of these fixtures? I tried last night to get it out - I removed the end caps and popped out the switch but there a lot of wires in a very tight space. I tried pulling on the white & green wires which I think are connected to the ballast but nothing moved and I did not want to rip out anything. Any help would be appreciated.

In regards to Christian's reply about not seeing any returns at the store and having no problems personally - have other people had good luck with these lights? I need to get a light soon, not sure if I should risk buying another or not.

- Kevin

was yours the 48" ones as well? I think it is likely that both mine came from the same batch. The second one I bought was in use on a display tank and he said they had been using it for a few months. If no one else has had problems, it is likely that they are a good product otherwise. Just be sure to keep your receipt.

My husband couldn't figure out how to get at the ballast either.