22gallon occupant ideas

Guest Master of Puppets

Hello, i was wondering what kind of fish (reasonably priced) I should put in the 22gallon tank im setting up this summer, I was thinking discus (price sounds scary) and if i got discus what other fish can i add. I guess i should also ask if discus would fit in a 22gallon. The tank has a glass top with a bout a 4 inch gap along the back of it.

Discus would definitely NOT work. On average, a discus should have about 10gals of water per fish and be kept in a group of 5 or 6 min. Also they get to be in the 6-8 inch size if properly cared for.

In a 22gal tank I would try some sort of Dwarf cichlid, A. cacutoide (triple red) maybe, or some rams (both approx $15). Throw in a small pleco, bristlenose ($10) or queen arabesque ($50), and some tetras, cardinals or serpae (both approx $5), and you will have a nice looking full tank.

Definitely no to the discus though.

Edited by BigA

Im not really a cichlid person I'm more into fish like BGK, RTS, ABF and puffers. I really would like a BGK but the lack of suitable tankmates draws me away. Are leaf fish expensive?

They are expensive and require a lot of room. From what I was told they are very agressive and do not tolerate tankmaes well.

There are dwarf rainbows that might do the trick.

Problem is 22 gal. is still small for a fish world. You'll need to look at small fishes. Maybe look at killifish.

Edited by Qattarra

I foy ulike puffers you could try some dwarf puffers. They will fit in a 22g(only get about 1"), are freshwater and are pretty cute.

But I agree a 22g is still pretty small and you should stick to smaller fish. For my smaller tanks I like picking a center piece fish, for me thats usually a cichlid, and then add filler fish like the tetras, livebearers, pleacos, etc.

You could go with a South American river type tank, some tetras and dwarf SA cichlids such as a pair of apisto or a pair of rams.

You could look at this if you do a set up like to first one or a scaled down version of the second one.

Geo System South America

Brad

This is in addition to all the fish currently crammed into the 29...?

Or were you asking which fish to move?