guppie fry

Guest Master of Puppets

Can I keep guppy fry in a small filterless heatless fish bowl and can I feed them with tiny flakes? Oh and how long before a guppy will have the babies?

Edited by FLIP

Ok new plan im moving them into my 22g using an already cycled filter gravel and about 80% of the water in it will be from my cycled tank should i wait a while before adding the guppy and is it absolutly nessesary for a heater to be used?

Guppies are fine at room temperature. Are you going to filter the tank? I'm not quite understanding what you are saying about that.

I put the guppie in a 22gallon tank with a filter that was on my cycled tank and i took most of the water for the 22gallon from my all ready cycled tank and i put a bit of gravel in in the 22 i took that from my cycled tank also.

:well: Do you want baby guppies??? If so then put your male and female together. Approx. 28 days later babies will be born. Also babies every approx. 28 days for the next 4-6 months. The female guppy stores sperm for later batches of fry. So even if you move your male guppy you still will get fry for some time after their interaction. Also your female if you got her from a pet store will most likely be pregnant already, most chain stores barely if at all separate the sexes. The only way to get a virgin female guppy is to raise it from scratch and separate fry by sex as soon as possible, or buy from a reputable breeder who will most likely have non-bred females. Hope this info helps. :)

What kind of filter are you using? If it is a power filter you will have to cover the pickup strainer with something to keep the fry out.

If you take an aquaclear sponge and use a razor blade to notch out a section in the middle you can make it so it fits on there nice. I would suggest using a heater, the little guys are senstive to changes in temperature and a heater will help you to avoid that, unless your house temp is pretty constant you could get away without one.