Is this possible?

nevchewy

I just stripped my Lwanda female for her first batch of 5 fry. I was very happy to see her hold to term as this was her 5th time holding.

this is where i get confused.

After 5 wigglers swam out i noticed there was something still in her mouth. At first i thought it was might have been just a peice of gravel but i kept her mouth open and she spat out 2 new eggs. These eggs looked like they were layed yesterday as they were not formed to show any developing fry.

there are 2 logical possible theorys that i have come up with:

1 - The eggs never developed and she kept holding on to them...???

or

2 - My Red Zebra's did their dance a coulple of days ago and the female has a huge mouthful. Is it possible that the zebra dropped a couple of eggs and the Lwanda picked them up with her maternal instincts?

I could only guess that it is number 2 but what do you think?

nev

Edited by nevchewy

Most likely the eggs weren't fertilized or failed to develop, and they never fungused (is that a word?) because she had them in her mouth. I've had that happen in the past with other fish too. It is possible I suppose that she picked up the others eggs, but most likely the male would've chased her away since he was spawning with another female.