Planted Tank Contest ???

Garhan

Are you interested in entering a 10 gallon tank to Planted Tank Contest at AA  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey folks,

Andy and I had a preliminary discussions about "POSSIBLY" having a Planted Tank Contest. Not even sure if we should call it a contest.

Tenatively we are considering laying out .....( for example the poosibility of all who are interested, regaurdless what you consider your level of ability to grow plants to be able to participate if you so choose,)..... some guidelines and minimal requirements for this as a first run. Admin and mods would judge the entries based on 2-3 catagories...I.e. Composition, condition of plants, and colour.

>Tank size might be fixed, for example only 10 gallon tanks..dimensions to come..

>Feature plant...has to be in display Roundifolia...some common type..

>Can use rocks or wood.

>Must have several fish living in tank...your choice

Anyways most tanks are judged by the quality of photo as opposed to quality of plants and tank. Therefore we may also have minimal requirements...again nothing complicated...needs to be digital...croped photo to only show tank...all filters and heaters pulled out of tank during photo shoot...submit your best photo when "you feel your tank has peaked". And we would likely except photo's from ......thinking out loud... April until September with the winner announced in October 2005.

I am also sure Andy will have so positive input and ideas to offer here.

This is purely by choice, we might even have a prize...we are working on that. But I will gift $100.00 retail value in background, foreground, and middleground plants (approxamately 20 plants to first place entry) from my personal inventory.-my choice.

Cheers,

Garhan

Sounds like a great idea to me! I'm in!! :thumbs:

Keeping it limited to small tank such as 10 gallons at first seems like a good idea to help keep costs down, however that may also be limiting as to who can enter, say if so-and-so wants to enter their already established tank but it's bigger than what's allowed...

Maybe you should not make size limits and just go with whatever you get submitted, if you get a lot then maybe you could break them into 2 categories, large and small or whatever. Just a thought...

Idea came from APC's Iron aquascaper challenge (based on Iron Chef challenge). Basically they give you a couple ingredients - it's up to you to figure out the rest.

I think working with a 10g is actually a better idea than just having an open "contest" I'd rather someone took the time to build something "competitive" than have everyone and their dog with a 10g tank (thats a lot of people) send in a snapshot of their existing setup.

Figure you bought everything new - you're talking roughly 100$ worth of supplies. Not exactly a "huge" stretch for most peoples budget.

I was arguing for using an AZOO razzle dazzle tank - weed out the true aquascapers and fish keepers. And give a bit of a push to the 'nanotank' world. But then people in godforsaken places (taber and mcmurray for example) would have to mail order etc their tanks... Giving the townies a bit of a edge.

The intention is not to see who's got the nicest tank, the intention isn't to make everyones life simple... The intention is to challenge the planted tank enthusiasts to create a work of art based on a few guidelines. If their current tank can be modified to work - more power to them, if they need to take 6 months to grow the tank in - so be it. Each will be judged manywill be found wanting - one will be found victorious.

Additionally - assuming we get a bit *nudge nudge hint hint* of free press from CAS and ACE - and put a requirement of 5-10 posts on AA - we might just get a few new worthy members :)

Andy

I like the idea, Im just thinking that there are a lot of experienced plant keepers and aquascapers, and then there are beginners, like me, who just throw stuff together and hope it looks good.

Any way to have it alternate from Beginer to the more experienced and back again?

Because if its only for the experienced, Im not gonna enter, cause mine look terrible.

(For example, my 10gallon currently has 6 4' Vals, and 7 Crypts in it... and looks like crap.)

I voted yes. I am interested in the idea, but not sure if I can participate. I have been forbidden to get another tank, but on the other hand I would have a while to sneak one into the house. Those razzle dazzle tanks...are they the square ones with the open top and the clip on light? Betta size tanks? I promised my daughter a betta, so I can fanagle a betta size tank into the house.

I sure hope there is enough interest, because I would love to see what people come up with. I would love to see the stuff from beginners to experts alike. It is an interesting idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Let's pop this one back up to the top shall we? :)

So does anyone have radical objections to the 10g tank size? To me it's a great middle road - small and cheap, but big enough to have many options.

My only question right now would be - who would we get to judge... I'd personally want to enter... I'd love to say let's have the membership vote - but we all know what happens with online votes and unscrupulous people...

Andy

i like the idea of a 10 gallon. Most pplhave one around and /or you can buy a new one from Petcetra for 9.99. As far as judging I think it should go to admin and mods only.

Garhan

But how many of the mods are really able to effectively judge a planted tank contest? And offer constructive criticism?

Andy

I'd set it up much like the large contests 3-6 judges. But I do believe they've got to be knowledgeable on the subject, some understanding of layout, plants 'the golden rule' etc.

Judges commentary should be better than "Thats a cool tank". They should also be able to spot unsuitable plants for aquaria. Like certain terrestrial plants that are often sold as aquatic plants - which may look good... For a few weeks - but will not live underwater. Or very questionable plant choices like most of the Echinodorus species (grow too big to be maintained in a 10g) tenellus obviously being omitted.

I'd be choosing not to judge - I'm no longer a mod... I'd be more interested in entering than judging.

Andy