Good article on how to raise a prize winning Asian Arowana

stratos

Below is a question I sent Mr.Kan and his response. Again, interesting reading!

A question I have for you concerns the email you sent me explaining the unscrupulous behaviour of Indonesian traders. As part of the email you mentioned that fewer water changes is better for Asian arowana. Can you expand on this point? I have always been told that it is wise to do frequent (i.e. 25% weekly) water changes.

Thanks,

Mr. Kan's Reply:

In my many years of enjoying the arowana, first of all as a hobbyist and then later in farming, I have witnessed the result of red arowanas kept by many kind of fish hobbyists in a whole array of different conditions ... different set-ups(some near a source of sunlight for example), varying Ph levels, varying temperature of water, frequency of water changes, feeding routine & manner of feeding and what to feed, various tank sizes, different water levels, etc, etc, etc. and this is the basis for the explanation I have given to you! You must understand that the red arowana in its natural environment are found only in the very still and quiet part of the meandering river which is away from the flow.This part of the river because it is very still has water temperatures & Ph levels pretty much the same all the time. In this condition the color of the fish will be very dark & intense. Can u achieve this with frequent water changes? If u can then by all means do so!

At first glance, Mr. Kan seems to advocate another approach to aro raising than that of Joseph Tan. However, perhaps weekly water changes under strict conditions, along with buffering of Ph, can yield a near constant water condition?

If you do water changes with preconditioned buffered water i.e. setting up a water barrel for water changes may work.

However, perhaps weekly water changes under strict conditions, along with buffering of Ph, can yield a near constant water condition?

As long as your water changes are very frequent and from the same soutce, the parameters of the water should be pretty much constant....infrequent changes will allow the pH of the water in the tank to drop, as well as nitrates to accumulate....this would be why that the article posted earlier suggests a constant water-change system.

If one performs frequent large scale water changes, and has an ideal pH (and a reasonable KH) to begin with, there would be no need to buffer the water, and all water parameters (which includes far more than just pH/KH) should remain constant.

Some great gallery images, and tips for raising & keeping Arowana's in the following link.

http://www2.wbs.ne.jp/~arowana/eindex.htm

If one performs frequent large scale water changes, and has an ideal pH (and a reasonable KH) to begin with, there would be no need to buffer the water, and all water parameters (which includes far more than just pH/KH) should remain constant.

Some great gallery images, and tips for raising & keeping Arowana's in the following link.

http://www2.wbs.ne.jp/~arowana/eindex.htm

Regarding the link above, I have to share a funny story. I have been in email contact with the webmaster there as I have used some of the photos in articles in the past. In my recent correspondance with Mr. Kan I quoted the following I came across on that Japanese site:

Q: What is the difference between chili red and blood red?

Q: Are chili red better than blood red?

A: "Chili Red " and "Blood Red " are names for wild arowana. Chili red live in the south area of the Lake Sentarum in Kalimantan. Blood red live in the northern area. A chili red has a "spoon" head, a blood red has a "cannonball" head. A chili red has a diamond shape tail, a blood red has a fan shape tail. A chili red has green skin, a blood red has darker base. Both become red. They are different strains, so it is worth nothing to say which is better.

I should mention again those names are for WILD fish. We can purchase only farmed fish, and they are cross bred ones. It is nonsense to discuss "Is my aro chili or blood?" Only we can purchase are "1st grade red". Of course "Chili red TYPE" or "Blood red TYPE" do exist

And so I then emailed Mr.Kan the following:

Hi Kan - I got the following from a Japanese site. Do you agree with what it says about the difference between Chilli and Blood reds? I ask because in the past I have seen red arowana with very red diamond shaped tails versus the others with rounded tails (and rounder heads).

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

And as for Mr.Kan's reply? He said:

The Japanese man interviewed was just repeating a whole load of rubbish given to him by Indonesian poaches of wild arowanas. Just stick to what I have said before!

I'll say this for Mr. Kan, he definitely holds strong opinions! :)