Non-fertile male parrots?

super fish

EDIT: THEY DID DIED SO NO FERTILE MALE.

While I have 3 parrot fish and 2 are hanging around one area of the tank. The area in which they are has many eggs on a flat rock. I know there is arrguments that there is some fertile male parrots. What do u guys think? Do you think its possible the male could be fertile?

ALSO: I guess one of the parrot (the one that stays near the eggs more) got into a fight and has open wounds. Is it safe to treat the water with melafix w/ out harming the eggs

picture079dd4.jpg

Edited by super fish

It's said that breeding between true blood parrots can't happen(reason behind no scientific name), but there are some varied types that can sucessfully get it done.

Here's another article I read a while back about breeding:

Although Parrots have been known to mate and even lay eggs, generally they are infertile. There have been sporatic cases of successful spawnings, generally when they have been crossed with a non-hybrid fish. Like other cichlids, Blood Parrots will tend the eggs and resulting fry fastidiously. As with any eggs, those that are infertile will turn white and rapidly fungus. The parents will eat infertile eggs to prevent them from spreading fungus to the fertile eggs.

Parrots are a hybrid between 2 different SA cichlids - aparently it's an oriental trade secret as to which 2 it is (same w. Flowerhorns). Sometimes, parrots have been known to produce viable young.

It would be better that you remove the fish with the wounds to its own hospital tank, but I don't think melafix will harm the eggs. It's a crapshoot really... but, if they've spawned once, chances are they'll spawn again; so, if the eggs don't make it, just keep feeding them and in 2 weeks or more you should see another spawn.

I read that it was a convict and severum

dosnt it not make more sense if it was a redvil...compare a redevil and severum and would that not make a parrot. I've heard this from many. and also I found out that the redevil will not bread with severums so they started it all in a petree dish?