Mycobacterium marinum

aquanaut

This is the way I found out my tank and I were infected.

I had some bumps on my right arm that were not going away. I went to my doctor he treated me for what he thought was a type of wart? After the treatment was not working I noticed the number of bumps would increase 2-3 days after a major cleaning of my tank. After doing some research on Mycobacterium marinum I informed my doctor and started antibiotics. I now use gloves and treatment seems to be working.

Now that I am being treated. What is the best way to treat the tank? Will I need to wash everything and start from scratch?

There is lots of info on what it is but not on how to treat the tank.

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Myco.htm

Break down the original infected aquarium and any other tank use as a treatment or quarantine tank and disinfect them with a strong chlorine solution. Use Calcium hypochlorite 65% to disinfect any tanks, which are in the vicinity of others housing live fish. Granular chlorine does not volatilise as readily as liquid chlorine (Sodium hypochlorite). In a poorly ventilated fishroom, fumes from liquid chlorine can cause fish kills in adjacent tanks. Concentrations of 200 mg/L for 30 to 60 minutes or 100 mg/L for 24 hours should be effective for disinfections of tanks, substrate, and submersed equipment (keep filters running during treatment).

Veterinarians at the National Aquarium in Baltimore, USA recommend using chlorine to clean the tank and substrate, etc., then spray rubbing alcohol onto the glass, and allow it to dry. They recommend the alcohol as they found that chlorine does not kill all mycobacteria. They use chlorine to remove/oxidise organic material to assure the alcohol contacts all mycobacteria in/on the tank. Use isopropyl alcohol and rinse the tank well before reuse. (Denise Petty DVM, Pers comm).

HTH