Pressure Treated wood and Ponds...

nevchewy

Would this combination be a huge concern?

In my new house i plan on building a pond. I have visions of building it beside a deck that will be built with pressure treated wood.

has anyone done this before?

let me know,

nev

Edited by nevchewy

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but if your concern is the rain water runoff from the deck in to the pond you would have to check what the wood is treated with. It used to be treated with cyanide and other nasty stuff. The new stuff is treated with something else. A word of caution though, anything that is chemicaly treated with a chemical that requires use of stainless fasteners needs to be researched. Or you could build your pond so that the run off drains away from it, or raise it slightly above ground level.

Nev, check out Google sketchup and you can do an actual to-scale drawing of your yard/deck. I've got mine drawn out for how I want to add a pond when I redo my deck (either this fall or next spring), and will have a pond beside the deck. The pond I'm essentially planning on framing with landscaping ties and lining with 45 mil epdm pond liner. As long as you're not going to have any wood in the water or potential runoff into the pond, there shouldn't be any issues (I've seen a ton of ponds built indoors where guys have framed/supported them using treated landscaping ties and lined with pond liner).

• 9 months later...
I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but if your concern is the rain water runoff from the deck in to the pond you would have to check what the wood is treated with. It used to be treated with cyanide and other nasty stuff. The new stuff is treated with something else. A word of caution though, anything that is chemicaly treated with a chemical that requires use of stainless fasteners needs to be researched. Or you could build your pond so that the run off drains away from it, or raise it slightly above ground level.

stainless steal or deck wood are both treated with chemicals,hummmmm lets see now chemicals and fish, do they mix well---------------NO!

Would this combination be a huge concern?

In my new house i plan on building a pond. I have visions of building it beside a deck that will be built with pressure treated wood.

has anyone done this before?

let me know,

nev

I won't address the issue of contaminated water running into the pond as others have already done so.

However other possible considerations include -how big are you planning to build it? I found it very helpful to be able to be able to walk completely around my pond, to net that one fish you want, or for cleaning. Also, an overflow pipe is helpful for times of continuous rain or a big downpour. Mine was directed out to under some trees, away from the house. What side of the house is your deck? Mine was on the north side. On the north side, it would be too sheltered to warm up well, as well as chilling from delayed melting and runoff from spring snowstorms. It is easier to add shade to keep it cooler than attempt to expose it more to heat it.

With some effort I was able to have reasonably warm water (in the 60's) from mid April to mid September.