Aquarium Systems Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead

Shai

I am considering adding a powerhead to my 55g tank. The inhabitants are rainbowfish (with more to come) and my understanding is that they enjoy highly oxygenated water. Additionally, the end of the tank opposite the AC70 doesn't get a lot of movement so I don't want the water there to become stagnant (that end is where I would put in the powerhead).

The Aquarium Systems Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead caught my eye because the description talks about being able to control air volume and water mixing so I thought it might be a good choice for oxygenation. The model I have linked to is the highest-rated for GPH (295). I'm not sure what GPH would be appropriate for my tank (they do have lower-rated models).

I've never used a powerhead before so I have no idea what I'm getting into here. Is this model a good choice? What do I need to know to set one up for my tank? I don't want to add a UGF, but can the powerhead be used in some way to add to the filtration in the tank, possibly with a cannister filter?

Anything else I should know?

Appreciate the help!

I am considering adding a powerhead to my 55g tank. The inhabitants are rainbowfish (with more to come) and my understanding is that they enjoy highly oxygenated water. Additionally, the end of the tank opposite the AC70 doesn't get a lot of movement so I don't want the water there to become stagnant (that end is where I would put in the powerhead).

The Aquarium Systems Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead caught my eye because the description talks about being able to control air volume and water mixing so I thought it might be a good choice for oxygenation. The model I have linked to is the highest-rated for GPH (295). I'm not sure what GPH would be appropriate for my tank (they do have lower-rated models).

I've never used a powerhead before so I have no idea what I'm getting into here. Is this model a good choice? What do I need to know to set one up for my tank? I don't want to add a UGF, but can the powerhead be used in some way to add to the filtration in the tank, possibly with a cannister filter?

Anything else I should know?

Appreciate the help!

I've got a few of the maxijets, and I love them. 1200 might be a bit big for a 55 g, i use a 400 in mine and it works fine.

depends a bit on your fishs' preferences. I use them both with and without UG, my stingrays love swimming in the

current, and the extra oxygen helps keep fish happy and active. It actually helps filtration, by keeping the water

moving and circulating through your regular filtration system. If you have lots of 'furniture' in your tank, then having

that extra oomph with the larger model can be nice.