Starting up a saltwater tank

drunkendj

Hey guys, I'm thinking about converting one of my tanks into a saltwater tank and I was wondering if any of you guys know any good online guides on starting up a saltwater fish tank or just any good advice. I heard the bigger the tank the better, so I'm going to use my 100 gal. Also for a tank this large, is a sump absolutely necessary?

Alright thanks. So in my saltwater conversion it looks like I need to change my lights, heater, buy a skimmer, possibly get a sump and a wave maker (I'm considering reefing). Also, can somebody explain to me what the function of the sump really is? I'm not entirely sure of its importance and if its vital for a saltwater tank. If I'm missing anything required for a saltwater tank (aside from the livestock) don't hesitate to tell me.

A sump a couple of factions in a reef tank one to allow all the little things that the fish like to eat to grow so the fish can eat them, they also help to stabilize the water in the tank by adding volume to the tank. If you want to have some of the harder to feed fish the you must have a sump other wise you can probably go with out one.

It depends what corals you want to keep. I would say go right to MH it will save you money in the long-run. Also make sure you buy the higher end power heads (I know this from my own experience) the cheap ones breakdown.

When I started my first tank I went cheap since I had no money, now I have payed out more over the long-run then I should have.