Filter for tiny tank

EowynJane

hm i can only get those on the southside of hte city lol which i cant get to easily,

generally i have heard good reviews on those red sea nanos

would love to get my hands on one for my 2.5

Well, today I'm not so happy with mine after all. I'm sure I caused it when I tried to put a bit of padding under it to dampen the vibration (maybe I set it off-kilter a bit?), but when I came in this morning, the thing was half empty. Fortunately, the documents on my desk absorbed most of the water before it could go into the big boss's office next door... :-(

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Finbert.... Please don't take this the wrong way when I say I really, really hope it was you and not the filter! LOL With all those good reviews to!

I was at Big A's tonight, I had to go, I broke my python :( And I saw the Red Sea Nano filters... needless to say it's happily humming along in my step daughters bedroom as I type. And the fish I want are 25% off. Now, hope and pray the new filter seeds ok, the mini cycle finishes off and we're ready for some new fishies! (nitrItes and nitrAtes were both seriously high, ammonia was barely readable. Don't worry, nothing in the tank but a bunch of stupid pond snails)

Edited by EowynJane

Oh Finbert.... Please don't take this the wrong way when I say I really, really hope it was you and not the filter! LOL With all those good reviews to!

Yeah, it was just me. Cleaned it up, took out the padding I'd added (which looked like it had somehow come in contact with the water and started wicking it all out) and everything has been fine since. The carpet doesn't even smell.

bought an elite mini here, really does seem adjustable, at max it throws around the tank alot.

at minimum seems to be a good flowrate. its silent

The elite is silent? The nano is louder then I wanted, I just hope my step daughter isn't bothered by the sound when she's trying to sleep. It's not that loud, I just hope she's not picky. Can I ask where you bought it and how much it cost?

Ooohhhh... Fin, you have carpet in your office! You must be an important person! Heh... none of our offices have carpet.

The elite is silent? The nano is louder then I wanted, I just hope my step daughter isn't bothered by the sound when she's trying to sleep. It's not that loud, I just hope she's not picky. Can I ask where you bought it and how much it cost?

Ooohhhh... Fin, you have carpet in your office! You must be an important person! Heh... none of our offices have carpet.

Yeah, the nano does make a bit of sound - which is how I got myself into that predicament in the first place. And if you saw the carpet in my office, you'd realize it has nothing to do with being important. I think it's more a laziness strategy for the cleaning staff: carpet gets dirt ground into it which hides the dirt, whereas you have to sweep/vacuum hard flooring.

Hhhhmmmmm... I'm going to try putting a piece of cloth in between the filter and the tank, against the back. Is that what you did Fin?

I kindof draped a piece of fabric along the top edge of the aquarium and hanging down the back, so that the whole thing was resting on fabric. Looking at it now, I'm thinking that what happened was:

- the padding caused the whole apparatus to tip forward a bit

- that tipping forward changed the angle of where the water comes out, allowing some of the water to run back up the underside, kindof like on a teapot when you're pouring slowly. Paradoxically, I suspect if I had it turned on full instead of low, it might not have been a problem, just like with a teapot.

- the water got on the fabric and capillary action took care of the rest

On the other hand, I'm now using a piece of fabric - just basic woven cotton, like a blouse or bedsheet, but with a really neat design - as a background, and it seems to dampen the vibration a little, without disrupting the water flow. I've also got the aquarium sitting on a piece of polar fleece, and that cuts back the noise quite a bit, because it keeps the vibrations from being transmitted to my desk and using the whole thing as an amplifier.

Edited by Finbert

When some of my HOB filters are vibrating against the tank I put some folded up paper towels or a small cloth in between the body of the HOB and the glass. You have to make sure that the HOB is level so you don't' have what happened to Finbert happen.

I've done this lots, as some of the little pieces of leveling plastic have fallen off my HOB filters. I've never had a problem, just make sure its level and not tilted forward or backward.

^ That is what I was thinking of doing. My step daughter called me into her room at one point in the night, pointed at the tank that was buzzing like crazy and said "Is that supposed to be doing that???" I've found that if you give it a bit of a squeeze it stops for a while but it does start again.

I'll try a piece of cloth and see if it helps. I like the idea of using one with a neat design as the back ground for the tank!

• 3 weeks later...

I bought an aquaclear mini and set it to run on the side of the tank. It is set at the lowest setting. No problems at all with it. It might look a bit silly, but it is quiet, adjustable, good quality and does the job :)