Preventing Disaster

nicolalex

Woke up this morning and found out my heater isn't working and my water is icy cold . I'm not sure how long it's been like that, other than the fact everything was fine on Friday (last water change done on Thursday). Have no idea, other than sometime after Friday when this heater quit.

Current water temp is approx 20C (tank usually runs about 25C)

Any idea on what my best steps will be to prevent ich or other fish diseases (haven't had any in years and years)?

Will be buying a heater this morning and intend to do a water change today, but am not sure if I should do it before or after I get water back to normal temps. Any ideas?

What else can I do to lessen chances of disease?

Cross your fingers and don't lose any sleep over it.

I know others have pointed this out, but many aquarists seem to forget that their little captives originated in nature. Water temperatures fluctuate naturally and fish just deal with it (perhaps they put on a sweater or have a cup of cocoa). If disease can so easily overcome fish after a temperature drop, chances are they were already stressed out and had been previously exposed to something that took the opportunity to strike at that moment (ich, etc.). Bring the temps back up gradually and make sure your tank perameters are nominal.

Woke up this morning and found out my heater isn't working and my water is icy cold . I'm not sure how long it's been like that, other than the fact everything was fine on Friday (last water change done on Thursday). Have no idea, other than sometime after Friday when this heater quit.

Current water temp is approx 20C (tank usually runs about 25C)

Any idea on what my best steps will be to prevent ich or other fish diseases (haven't had any in years and years)?

Will be buying a heater this morning and intend to do a water change today, but am not sure if I should do it before or after I get water back to normal temps. Any ideas?

What else can I do to lessen chances of disease?

cold water holds more oxygen than warm, are they appearing stressed? or just slowed down a bit? I would go ahead and wait until you have your heater ready to do the wc. For the frst 2 hours after the heater is on I would bring the temp up only a few degrees and let them warm up slowly, but do get it back to normal in the next 12-15 hours. Don't feed them until the temp is normal again, their systems are likely slowed and they wont be very hungry until then.

The water temp is slowly coming back up. The fish were really sluggish this morning, but are now more active. Water is now at 22/23 and I'll keep it there till tonight. I've decided to delay water change until temp has been reached and stable for a good day.

Everything appears fine, with the exception of my loach, who expired. Chances are he was just old and the cold was more than he could handle.

I would not do a w/c until your tank is up to temp and stabilized there.