Breeding Convicts

Slough Shark

That about covers it ...male+female+water , yup that's it, 20 gal is all they need. As long as there are places for the maturing fry to hide from the parents when the parents lay a new batch of eggs, they can remain in the same tank. Keep in mind the males esp. will defend eggs/fry, you will get bit if you stick your hand in there lol.

I remember having convicts as my first cichlid. I put them in a four gallon holding tank and bred there. They never ate the babies and they kept laying eggs in the tiny tank. I eventually got rid of them because of their aggressive nature in the big tank.

Js

Wow, I guess I'll have to keep them locked up when I go in to collect the free swimmers for Leaf Fish food! I was planning on giving them a 20 gallon Rubbermaid container with sponge filters to breed in. I have no more room for new tanks!!!!

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Should I keep it bare bottom or use some sand in it?

I will be easier if its barebottom. You can just syphon the fry without worrying about substrate. I you want, you can even just take the pot that they laid their eggs in and put it in the leaf fish tank. A small bubbler will keep it nice and aerated. Once they turn to wigglers, your leaf fish can just eat them.

Js

Thanks Sue. Do they have teeth lol?

Yes they do have teeth