Anuba

duff

I have had this plant in my tank for a couple of months and it has not grown any roots.

The plant looks healthy and new leafs have begun..

any suggestions? is this normal? ';

I have an elastic around it to some driftwood.

Since most Anubias species are not meant to be planted in the substrate, I would guess that they don't do a lot of nutrient uptake through the roots and therefore don't grow them as rapidly as other plants (they're slow growers anyways.) If it's otherwise healthy, don't worry too much about it. Anubias barteri var. nana is sturdy enough to grow while floating freely in the water. If this is the variety you have, it may not be in a rush to anchor itself.

I've found that if they have a chance to get to some nutrient-rich substrate, Anubias will quite happily put out roots. That being said, they are quite slow at growing anything in a normal fish tank. If you're looking for stellar growth - like w. any plant - you'll need to feed it (CO2, light, ferts).

It should be quite solid on your piece of wood after 6 months - you'll be able to pick the wood up by the plant! They're a solid plant - almost indestructible - but, they take their times growing.

Edited by jvision

Jvision is correct. I have a number of anubias in my tanks and they all have extensive root systems. A couple are planted right in the substrate but most are anchored to driftwood. Either way, they need roots to keep themselves attached to whatever they are growing in/on.

It's a bit odd yours doesn't have any roots at all--did you get it from an LFS? When I got mine they all had roots (too many, in fact! I had to trim). What specific kind of anubias is it? Can you post a pic?