Rattling noises from cannister...new impeller needed?

Golfnut

Hi,

I was setting up an old Eheim 2213 filter. It works fine, but makes some rattling noises when in use. I took it apart and cleaned the impeller and shaft assembly and put it back together and the noise got WORSE.

The impeller itself looks ok with nothing damaged per se... but I guess these things need to be replaced once in a while? But I'm worried about buying a new impeller and the problem not being fixed.

Thanks for any ideas...

Andrew

I have one canister (not an Eheim) that sounds like a rattling impeller if there is air in the system. Might be a good thing to check.

On my Fluvals when the impeller rattles I can actually see where the hole through the middle has started to 'triangle' which causes the rattle. if you can see this, then you know for certain that will solve the issue.

At worse, if you buy an impeller and don't need it, you might someday or you could offer it up on here.

i had an eheim that did that and i found it was a piece of plastic that broken of by one of the clips. pulled it out and it was fine.

Often you just need to replace the impeller shaft. If you can find someone who sells Eheim parts, you should be able to get just the shaft (little metal rod).

• 3 weeks later...

If it is not the impeller or the shaft, it may only be air in the system. Try tipping it around a bit while it is running to get the air out. I had a very noisy fluval 404, and could not figure out why. Turns out the plastic thing that holds the impeller and shaft in place was loose.