Discus

Slough Shark

For juvie discus , should have a bare bottom tank, w/c should be done 50 -100 % everday, with lots of small feedings during the day. for adults you can get away with one or two wc a week, depending on how much the tank is stocked. hope that helps. FF

Edited by Fresh fish

I don't use RO water for my discus, however if your tank is small enough you may want to consider using at least 1/2 RO. Water changes depend on size, quantity and how much you are feeding. My two discus tanks (55 gals) get two changes of approx. 35% each week. They are now 6" and very healthy with this regime.

While growing out your Discus, I would *strongly* recommend 50% at least 3 times a week, to get strong, even growth among all your juvies. Also, feeding 4-6 times a day, with a variety of foods will also enhance strong growth and good health.

Once the Discus are mature however, water changes can be cut down to 50% a week (prefferably twice a week or 3 times in 2 weeks), and will also survive moderate neglect and overcrowding for short periods, providing they're healthy to start with. Discus, contrary to popular belief, are actually quite hardy.

Useing anything but tap water (i.e. hard) is completely personal choice - unless you're planning on breeding. Much more crucial is the lack of pH swings.

By no means an expert on Discus, I have dabbled with them for a couple of years now, and currently have over 50 in 10 tanks. :blush: Have only lost a couple due to aggression in all that time...

I don't use RO water for my discus, however if your tank is small enough you may want to consider using at least 1/2 RO

Blue Ram, why would you add R/O to a small tank, yet not to a large one?

Thanks for the answers guys,

The tank is 10 gallons, and I am planning on adding a pair of the Gourami (if at all). If I can find some tankmates that are easier to keep, but will not be seen as prey for the Leaffish, I will get them instead.

Thanks for the info though, I gather that I will need to do at least 50% thrice weekly. And what is RO water? Will I need it with this small a tank?

Thanks,

Taylor

And what is RO water? Will I need it with this small a tank?

RO stands for reverse osmosis. It's water that's been forced through a membrane to result in a low concentration of solute ions, which makes the lowering of pH easier in the aquarium. For a small tank, it's not worth the purchase price of an RO system, the overall water quality is more important than the exact characteristics (pH, hardness, etc.).

Thanks nyb!

So just to double check, I will give all the info on that tank...

10 Gallon with Malayan Leaffish

Hoping for Sphaerichthys Osphromenoides (2)

Bogwood, Dead Leaves, Peat (soon), other Detritus

Subduesd Lighting

No plants as of yet

Hoping for plants, just waiting on reply for which plants are native (Probably Rotala sp.)

pH- 7.4

If any more info is needed, please ask. I want to make sure I can house these fish without any casualties. Just to be sure, I want to be doing 50% W/Cs three times a week, and then I can slowly cut it down to twice a week and maybe even once (at 75% once a week).

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it,

Taylor