Bloat??

Murminator

I have one of my sunshine peacocks has been hiding under the rocks for 3-4 days he comes out at feeding time but I don't think he eats anything. When he came out today he was looking pretty fat he had lost alot of color but his scales are not standing straight out yet. I have had a bloat a couple times with my rainbows but before I knew what it was they were dead.

What is the best treatment for it?? do I treat the whole tank?

Are you sure he is looking fat and is not just hiding becuase someone is picking on him and he is scared. OR(stupid question) but are you sure its a male and not a holding female?

Is he the only fish in the tank that is acting this way? Is he new? How is your water quality? What are/were you feeding him?

I've never had to treat bloat but there is some good articles over at Cichlid-forum.com and on their forum http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24132

Bloat article

Have you added any new fish recently?

If it is indeed bloat type conditions, IMO Jungle Tank Buddies Parasite Clear is one of the most effective, and safest meds currently on the market. Treat the entire tank, and follow the directions to a T with a total of 3 treatments.

Are you sure he is looking fat and is not just hiding becuase someone is picking on him and he is scared. OR(stupid question) but are you sure its a male and not a holding female?

Is he the only fish in the tank that is acting this way? Is he new? How is your water quality? What are/were you feeding him?

I've never had to treat bloat but there is some good articles over at Cichlid-forum.com and on their forum http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24132

Bloat article

Good with water changes he has been in there for 3 weeks he came from aqua giant :boxed: I feed nls small pellets

have a look I think it's bloat starting to pinecone and eyes bulging lost almost all his color

Bloat & dropsy are often viewed as one & the same due to the final stages of bloat (caused by parasitic infection) appearing almost identical to most classic cases of dropsy. The reality is there is no way to tell with 100% certainty exactly what your fish is suffering from, but chances are your fish was already harbouring this pathogen when you purchased it.

Maracyn 2 is a good broad spectrum antibiotic for most gram negative bacteria, but I would keep a very close eye on the rest of your fish & be prepared to treat with Parasite Clear if any other fish begin go off their feed, and/or become reclusive.

A classic example of why one should always QT new arrivals, especially if they are purchasing fish from sources that are known to keep/sell fish that aren't always in the best of health.

Good luck, by the looks of that fish you're going to need it.