water softener in use

geleen

Hi, we have a softener installed. (I believe salt ion exchange)

Is it possible to use the softened water from this unit directly, or would one have to bypass it?

Would be nice to run it directly from the water heater into the tank(s) at the right temperature

I would still add Prime before use.

Thanks

Although some people use softened water and don't seem to have any problems, I'd say use the regular tap water if possible. Doctors recommend that people avoid using softened water for drinking/cooking because of the high sodium content, so I can't see that it would be healthy for your fish to live in constantly. Fish and plants do need the calcium and magnesium.

I had a separate, unsoftened line run for fish water. It's cold, so I have to heat it in buckets before water changes. I also mix in some RO water to soften it.

I agree with werner. Even though most fish don't mind high sodium levels (I have 380mg/L in my well water), the fish and plants need the minerals. I also don't think the plants like the high sodium maybe with the exception for a few. I bet that your PH is high because of the sodium and if you keep fish that requires soft water then they probably prefer a lower PH as well. In short, the water softener basically takes the minerals and exchanges it for sodium. This affects the ion balance and the PH and KH goes up as the GH drops.

I also only have access to cold water in the basement, so I use 7 gallon containers to store it in for a couple of days so that it at least is room temperature before I do water changes.

Edited by patrick

We have a water softener that softens our hot water only. I use water from the tap of the same temperature as my tank water without any negative effects as far as I can tell. I would say I end up using maybe 1/3 hot water 2/3 cold possibly even more cold than that (I've never actually measured). So really only 1/3 of the water going in my tank has been softened, if that.

I was worried when we got the water softener, but changing the water without using the hot water was such a big pain (that resulted in fewer water changes being done) that I decided to try using the water softener water instead. I just made sure that I started using it gradually and watched the fish behaviour and the pH and hardness levels carefully. I also checked the kind of salt being used on the water softener...unfortunately I can't remember why other than that I read something on the internet :unsure:

Thanks folks for you replies.

I decided to:

1. bypass the softener

2. empty the hotwater tank and then refill, wasting a tank full of hot water or have a bath :rolleyes:

3. fill directly from the tap with the water from the heater which should now be sufficiently ( mostly) diluted with regular tap water.

As long as I remember to do the reverse all should be well. :unsure:

thanks again

J

I also checked the kind of salt being used on the water softener...unfortunately I can't remember why other than that I read something on the internet

Most water softeners are run with regular salt (sodium chloride), but you can use potassium chloride salt instead. Potassium is preferable for health reasons, and is also better for the environment (especially if you have a septic tank.) If you have a planted tank, it's instant fertilizer.

An Alternative to Softening with Sodium

I also checked the kind of salt being used on the water softener...unfortunately I can't remember why other than that I read something on the internet

Most water softeners are run with regular salt (sodium chloride), but you can use potassium chloride salt instead. Potassium is preferable for health reasons, and is also better for the environment (especially if you have a septic tank.) If you have a planted tank, it's instant fertilizer.

An Alternative to Softening with Sodium

Wow! This is so helpful, glad you guy's are taking the time. I will see if it is available.

John