Green Water

vanbeaker

As the title states, I have green water. Some background... (work tank, 45gal, peacock tank, ph 8.2, temp, 79 F)

Tank has been running since 2nd week of September, regular water testing done weekly. Values seem to be behaving as they should through proper cycling. Did first water change (10%) at about week 2.5, and have been doing (10%) changes about every week to week and a half. The first water change was from cloudy water, ammonium was high, dropped off since then. I did a 10-15% water change last week, and came into work on Monday and the ater was a tinge of green. I also cleaned the filter out at the same time as my last water change (in the removed tank water). I have had small patches of brown and greenish algae on the glass, but no outbreak by any stretch (removed with magnet).

Did I do too much at once, ie water change and filter cleaning at the same time, and upset the balance?

I noticed an previous post on an algae site that talks about diatom filtration, garbage bag wrapping, and such.

I am more concerned with my handling of the cycle process, I don't think I am out of the woods by any stretch... please advise. :boxed:

Any thought questions or concers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

What is the bioload on the tank? What kind of filtration do you have? I think that maybe the tank has not completely been cycled If the tank was started in september, it won't be ready to be completely full of fish as a tank usually takes 6 months or so to fully mature. Which again brings us to the bioload? How many fish and how big? What is your feeding schedule like? How often and how much?

need a bigger bio load by my standards. and if you have carbon in the tank and rinsed it under tap water,

you probably diminished its effect thereby lets algae spores to crazily multply.

they can create exact copies of themselves over a 1000 times a day!!!!!

more denytrifying bacteria is needed. add some stability to kickstart it

Quinn

The balance between light, nutrients and waste is off.

I am not an expert, but this is what I would do today

The algae needs to be starved off, I would try the following:

1./Check how much you are feeding, not feeding for a day or 2 this week, not a bad idea.

2./Turn of the light for a few days.

3./ Do a 40- 50 % water change and gravel vacuuming, today and again tomorrow (treated water)

4./ Change 20-25 % water weekly

5./ Temporay use of UV works well but is expensive but then so is diatom filtration

John

What is the bioload on the tank? What kind of filtration do you have? I think that maybe the tank has not completely been cycled If the tank was started in september, it won't be ready to be completely full of fish as a tank usually takes 6 months or so to fully mature. Which again brings us to the bioload? How many fish and how big? What is your feeding schedule like? How often and how much?

Bioload is as follows

5 peacocks - (2) 3.5" at most, (2) 2" and, (1) at about 1.75".

Filtration is a Fluval 403 - bio balls (ceramic tubes really) and some carbon.

Oh I am certain it is not cycled, but I'm not adding anymore until it is good. The last fish were added on Nov. 7th.

need a bigger bio load by my standards. and if you have carbon in the tank and rinsed it under tap water,

you probably diminished its effect thereby lets algae spores to crazily multply.

they can create exact copies of themselves over a 1000 times a day!!!!!

more denytrifying bacteria is needed. add some stability to kickstart it

Quinn

**Definately did not rinse under tap water, used water from water change.**

**Now when you speak of stability, is that a product name?... I'm not a big fan of adding all sorts of "extra" stuff, but if it will help...**

The balance between light, nutrients and waste is off.

I am not an expert, but this is what I would do today

The algae needs to be starved off, I would try the following:

1./Check how much you are feeding, not feeding for a day or 2 this week, not a bad idea.

2./Turn of the light for a few days.

3./ Do a 40- 50 % water change and gravel vacuuming, today and again tomorrow (treated water)

4./ Change 20-25 % water weekly

5./ Temporay use of UV works well but is expensive but then so is diatom filtration

John

1./ Feeding 1x per day and no more than what they will in in about 30 sec. Feels like it is not enough, but any longer and it just hits bottom in waste.

2./ Currently, the lights are off, I turned them off yesterday.

3./ Might have to do water change tommorrow as time allows.

4./ 20% a week is doable... < this isn't too much?... slow down cycling further?>

5./ ya way to oexpensive for my blood.... BUT if it must be done, might spend the $$.

As I see it, you're in kind of a nasty catch 22. The green water algae flourish off of high ammonia (ammonium) and phosphates. Since you want the tank to finish cycling, you need the ammonia in there. But... if the algae keeps consuming it, the tank won't cycle properly.

Even better: the algae can easily switch nutrient sources to nitrites and nitrates. So even if your tank cycles, that probably won't solve the algae issue.

There are several methods outlined for getting rid of green water here. A blackout is the cheapest and easiest, unless you can get your hands on some daphnia.

You can also try to put some micron filter pads in your filter. I cut out a piece for my HOB filter on my shellie tank when it was "green". It does not remove all of it but it helps. Those pads are very fine so it will choke your filter a bit. I used that and some patience and it suddenly cleared up after about two weeks. I am not 100% sure but I think that sand with high levels of silica contributes to the algae growth, and once the silica is depleted the algae growth slows down.

I recently also had a major cause of GW.

Thanks to the members of this forum it is now gone thanks to a diatom filter I bought.

Once you think your tank is completely cycled you are welcome to borrow the diatom filter to clear your tank and start fresh.

In the mean time I have 3 left over Algone pouches you can have. They're quite expensive but I would like to give back for the help I've received.

Algone is the only safe algae remover I know off. It didn't work for me because I had no flow in my filtration system to put it in so it was a waste of money for me - you should be fine if you put it in the Fluval.

Once the water is clear you could also try adding plants - it'll help compete for nutrients with the algae. The taller the plant the better from what I've heard.

There are several methods outlined for getting rid of green water here. A blackout is the cheapest and easiest, unless you can get your hands on some daphnia.

UPDATE: So after leaving the lights off for a week, and not feeding for 3 days, and (2) 30% wc's I came to work this morning and to my delight crystal clear water..... clearest it has been since first filling.

NOW.... What is my next step? green water gone in theory.... what's next to avoid repeat scenario?

Edited by vanbeaker