*sigh*

sharuq1

Ugh it has been a bad week. A single snail died in the 14g biocube, and it has wreaked havoc on the tank. :( The acan looks melty, many of the zoos look dead, the xenia shrunk down to the size of a frag and refuses to stand up, several frags died..... Had to take apart everything to find the $%&$ snail, now ammonia is spiking so high that the test looks blue (on the scale it goes from yellow-0 to dark green with a hint of blue-8ppm) Have done several large water changes and am dosing with prime to try and keep it less toxic sludge than it is.

Seeing as I had to take the tank apart to clean it up all the LR ended up in a vat with a powerhead and heater. I ended up taking a blowtorch to the annoying algae and hydroids on it. (I was frusterated.) Which...of course...caused die off on that too.

(that part entirely my fault for being such a perfectionist as to want to fix everything in one go) Sooooooo major ammonia spike in the main tank, nitrate where the LR is and some dying and unhappy corals.... And to top that off the fan in the BC is acting up AGAIN.

*sigh* It has been a crummy :cuss: week -_-

Thinking maybe we should just find a bigger tank..... :'(

Just sad and bummed out :cry:

Bad weekend for cubes. I also had trouble, but in my 24gal. Lost the kids clownfish, they weren't too happy about that. Fortunatley I caught it early enough to save all but the clown. Lotsa water changes and panic, but it leveled out and looks good again. Hopefully yours will come around. Don't give up, salt tanks are way too interesting to give up on.

Good Luck

Brad

• 1 month later...

Update: Everything alive was transferred to a 48g, see 48g bow thread :) Corals were babysat by a nice member of canreef for 3 months before being introduced to the setup.

48g bow thread

Edited by sharuq1

Good luck with the new setup, hope all goes well. I've just started another on too. 33 gal, with a 9 gal sit behind fuge/sump, that I've been working on. Another couple weeks and I'll start stocking it. The live rock has been in my current tanks for 4 months but I took them out and scrubbed them down, so I will wait for a few more weeks before stocking anything.

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like you might need more scavengers. I have a 28 gallon with about 35 pounds of live rock in it. I have what seems to be thousands of bristle stars, some bristle worms, crabs, snails, cleaner shrimp, etc.

I have "lost" two fish in there so far. One was a small clown and the other was a firefish. I have not seen either one of them for months, neither Rod nor I removed any bodies, and we did not get any big spikes or problems.

All I can think of is that they did indeed die but the scavengers cleaned up the bodies before any harm could come to the water quality.

It might be an expensive fix but with a dead snail sitting around you might need to change your live rock and/or substrate. As it is a small tank, small problems end up multiplying quick. If you need live rock I have a huge amount sitting dry in my garage (as well as crushed coral) from my old 90 gal that I have had success with for starting tanks with.