new tank ready

tikka223

My 230gallon tank is finally ready for chiclids. I have some idea as to what I'm going to put in it for Malawi but could always use more ideas. My biggest concern is how many fish I could eventually have in a tank this size? I have been told that over crowding reduces aggression but then the tank looks like it should be in a pet store not as a show piece in a home. What I feel is that with the right combination of Chiclids a tank this size should hold 30-50 fish depending on there size. Second concern is that I have been told that you should add pickling salt, epson salt, and a reef buffer to the tank. Is this needed and if so how much do I need of each? AA always has the answers so fire away folks and fill me in so my tank looks as good as yours. Thanks again Shane

Here is a photo of the new tank. I've added 10 Peacocks and 9 Haps. Any imput or suggestions are welcome.

post-2114-1196224958_thumb.jpg

Edited by tikka223

My 230gallon tank is finally ready for chiclids. I have some idea as to what I'm going to put in it for Malawi but could always use more ideas. My biggest concern is how many fish I could eventually have in a tank this size? I have been told that over crowding reduces aggression but then the tank looks like it should be in a pet store not as a show piece in a home. What I feel is that with the right combination of Chiclids a tank this size should hold 30-50 fish depending on there size. Second concern is that I have been told that you should add pickling salt, epson salt, and a reef buffer to the tank. Is this needed and if so how much do I need of each? AA always has the answers so fire away folks and fill me in so my tank looks as good as yours. Thanks again Shane

I have a 228 gal that only has 18 fish in it. When they get to full size, however, some of them will be over 10" so it depends on what you want to stock it with. As for the salt I don't add any to my tank. If mbuna are going in it 30-50 is not out of the question but if you want to add large haps you'll probably start out with 30, as I did ,and end up with 20-25 depending on the size and aggression level you want. Here's a pic:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b272/RDF...shpix-001_1.jpg

I don't mess with the Calgary water. I wouldn't start adding stuff unless you have to.

Quantity of fish is an issue but diversity is another.

For example, 30 fish with three species and 10 of each that get along might work better than 15 different kinds of fish and two of each.

Edited by punman

I have a 228 gal that only has 18 fish in it. When they get to full size, however, some of them will be over 10" so it depends on what you want to stock it with. As for the salt I don't add any to my tank. If mbuna are going in it 30-50 is not out of the question but if you want to add large haps you'll probably start out with 30, as I did ,and end up with 20-25 depending on the size and aggression level you want. Here's a pic:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b272/RDF...shpix-001_1.jpg

Thanks for the info, adding salt did not sound right but had to check with "experts". Your tank looks great, I will try to post a picture of my tank for all to see and maybe get some imput as to impovements. Thanks again Shane

the only time i use salt is when there are ragged fins or scrapes and then i add a small amount of aquarium salt which helps with quicker healing