Hair Algae

corrosionjerry

I have a large chunk of Java moss that I am trying to get rid of the hair algae that has infested it....

I put the Java moss into a 2 1/2 gallon tank and started putting in 4 x the suggested amount of flourish excel to try and kill the algae.... I have repeated this for the last three days havnt noticed much difference yet.... anyone have any thoughts on this.... am I aproaching this correctly?

I am trying to get rid of some rams horns that are in the moss as well.... hate them critters.... will the overdose of co2 kill the critters?

You should start to see the hair algae changing color as it starts to die off. It may not be too obvious if it's in the moss, but something should be happening in the next day or so.

will the overdose of co2 kill the critters?

Do you mean from the Excel? It is a carbon source, but not in the form of carbon dioxide.

You should start to see the hair algae changing color as it starts to die off. It may not be too obvious if it's in the moss, but something should be happening in the next day or so.
will the overdose of co2 kill the critters?

Do you mean from the Excel? It is a carbon source, but not in the form of carbon dioxide.

Yes that is correct the Flourish Excel the liquid carbon source...

The Excell is actually doing a good job I see that the algae is nearly all gone.... I am going to continue till it is gone but next time I have this problem I will try the bleach method with the moss...

I am going to try and build a wall with the moss as described from that link as well once I have enough of it... Maybe I do have enough!

• 1 month later...
The Excell is actually doing a good job I see that the algae is nearly all gone.... I am going to continue till it is gone but next time I have this problem I will try the bleach method with the moss...

I am going to try and build a wall with the moss as described from that link as well once I have enough of it... Maybe I do have enough!

For those who have Vals though - overdosing will melt your vals, and dosing with Excel will slows vals growth.

I don't know how I missed this thread in the fall! I just threw out a bunch of moss and decided to not use the hair algae infested stuff in my 5g I'm cycling b/c I don't want the hair algae to come over there... now I'm going to try the bleach method and let some moss live in a 2g for a bit to see if the hair comes back... if not it can go live in the 5. thanks for the bump of this... I should REALLY use the search feature more often. hehehe

That's great news! If I remember correctly, you can also get rid of hair algae by increasing the NO3 you're dosing (only recommended on systems w. 2+WPG and CO2).