Dwarf Puffers

interlude

Am I the only one who noticed a 5g tank is to small for these fish? Interlude you need a max of 5g's per puffer and keeping them as the only puffer is a bad idea. Puffers need lots of swimming space because they actually use the extra space. I suggest going with a 10g and getting 3 puffers. With my 20g my origanal plan was getting 5 dwarf puffers and make a species tank but it didnt work out. Good luck on the new tank.

I beg to differ there FLIP. I do agree that the dp should have 5 gallon each (even 3 gallon each). However, ONE Dwarf in one tank is perfectly fine. Plenty of space for a puffer that will be one inch maximum. Must maintain 50 percent water change weekly (my opinion). Two MAY work if one is a male and female OR lots of hiding place. For me though, one is good with an otto tankmate.

Js

Well I have both of mine in a 10 gallon with an otto and some shrimps and so far they are doing ok. One of the puffers likes to swim up top and the other spends more time at the bottom.

Heres an update. My boss donated his old 20g he just took down last week. I just filled it with water, the filter crapped out so I ran down to riverfront and picked up another one. I threw in about 20 snails (ponds and ramshorn) and bought 3 pearl danios to help cycle the tank. So far so good, we have sand as substrate, some real plants and some fake plants. The snails are roaming around, a couple big ones has eggs all over the shell. We are going to let the snails go crazy, since we are going to throw in 4 or 5 puffers. I'll pick up a couple otos in the next couple of days.

Heres my next question, how long do u you think it would take to recycle this tank? Hes had it for about 2 or 3 years, had a huge pleco and 3 "silver fish" he emptied the tank and brought it into work. I took the sponge from my 5g and put it in the aquaclear I picked up today. Hopefully it wont take too long to recycle this tank, we are anxious to get the puffers in and watch them hunt down the snails! haha

Christian mentioned that the danios will nip at other fishes fins.. will it attack the puffers?

Edited by interlude

• 2 weeks later...